pcmcia: timeout waiting for Tx RDC - Portable

This is a discussion on pcmcia: timeout waiting for Tx RDC - Portable ; Hi I do have a Compaq Presario 1082 with a Cirrus PD6729 host adapter and a Shoho ND51x0 ethernet card. I can't get pcmcia to work. The hardware ist not defect, it works under Windows on the same computer. According ...

  1. pcmcia: timeout waiting for Tx RDC

    Hi

    I do have a Compaq Presario 1082 with a Cirrus PD6729 host adapter and
    a Shoho ND51x0 ethernet card. I can't get pcmcia to work. The hardware
    ist not defect, it works under Windows on the same computer.

    According to the PCMCIA HOWTO my particular pcmcia host adaptor
    doesn't work with the kernel pcmcia drivers, so I use the standalone
    package 3.2.4 together with the latest 2.2 kernel (I got a little bit
    confused how to use the standalone package with 2.4 kernels, but that
    shouldn't matter).

    linux-2.2.25 dmesg:

    Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.4
    kernel build: 2.2.25 #3 Sat Sep 6 08:49:27 PDT 2003
    PnP: PNP BIOS installation structure at 0xc00fdbd0
    PnP: PNP BIOS version 1.0, entry at f0000:d1c0, dseg at f0000
    Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
    Cirrus PD6729 rev 00 PCI-to-PCMCIA at slot 00:13, port 0xfcfc
    host opts [0]: [ring] [1/3/2] [1/9/2]
    host opts [1]: [ring] [1/3/2] [1/9/2]
    ISA irqs (default) = 3,9,10,11 polling interval = 1000 ms
    cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
    eth0: pcnet_reset_8390() did not complete.
    pcnet_cs: unable to read hardware net address for io base 0x320

    ethernet is not configured.

    # ifconfig eth0
    eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

    according to ioports 320 should be available

    # cat /proc/ioports
    0000-001f : dma1
    0020-003f : pic1
    0040-005f : timer
    0060-006f : keyboard
    0080-008f : dma page reg
    00a0-00bf : pic2
    00c0-00df : dma2
    00f0-00ff : fpu
    01f0-01f7 : ide0
    0220-022f : soundblaster
    03c0-03df : vga+
    03f6-03f6 : ide0
    03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
    fcfc-fcfd : i82365

    I changed io (and irq) to other values, but pcnet_cs seems all the
    time unable to read hardware net address.

    Greping in the source code revealed the error stems from not being
    able to read the MAC address so I passed it to pcnet_cs as a parameter
    (hw_add=...).

    Starting rc.pcmcia and setting up eth0, I get now these errors
    in /var/log/messages

    Sep 6 12:18:50 athens kernel: eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC.
    Sep 6 12:18:52 athens kernel: eth0: interrupt(s) dropped!
    Sep 6 12:18:54 athens kernel: eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC.

    also "ifconfig eth0" shows that all bytes in Tx are errors. No bytes
    are actually send.

    Any idea? Is more information necessary? As said before, the card
    works under windows.

    Thanks, stefan

    PS: Is this for sure a network card problem or could it also be a host
    adapter problem?

  2. Re: pcmcia: timeout waiting for Tx RDC

    schaecsn wrote:

    > I do have a Compaq Presario 1082 with a Cirrus PD6729 host adapter and
    > a Shoho ND51x0 ethernet card. I can't get pcmcia to work. The hardware
    > ist not defect, it works under Windows on the same computer.

    I do not know what a Shoho ND51x0 card is; it sounds rather like a
    SOHOware ND5120-E? Did you have to edit /etc/pcmcia/config for the
    card to be recognized?

    > eth0: pcnet_reset_8390() did not complete.
    > pcnet_cs: unable to read hardware net address for io base 0x320

    This is sometimes an indication that a card is not actually NE2000
    compatible.

    > according to ioports 320 should be available

    Well, Linux never allocates the same IO ports to two drivers. The
    potential problem is ports used by a device that Linux doesn't know
    about. But your log indicated you've built PCMCIA with PnP BIOS
    support so the interrupt and IO ports should be safe.

    > Sep 6 12:18:50 athens kernel: eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC.
    > Sep 6 12:18:52 athens kernel: eth0: interrupt(s) dropped!
    > Sep 6 12:18:54 athens kernel: eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC.

    > also "ifconfig eth0" shows that all bytes in Tx are errors. No bytes
    > are actually send.

    This also smells of the card possibly not being NE2000 compatible?

    > PS: Is this for sure a network card problem or could it also be a host
    > adapter problem?

    Well, it could be an adapter problem.

    Have you checked www.linux-on-laptops.com for reports on this laptop?

    -- Dave