You're simply lucky: You've got a real IrDA chip in it, but my L3H has
not :-( But according to linux-on-laptops.com the L3D has a real chip.
According to the specs, the only difference between the Laptops is the
Processor (P3 <=> Athlon Mobile), so you can just guess and try.
f you can switch it on by BIOS, it should work, if there's no switch,
you should write to Asus and demand, that they should build Hardware
which deserves this name (in my opinion a Infrared module wired on the
board in some way is not an IrDA Adapter)....