newbie: IBM TP R40 - spastic UltraNav, though USB mouse works fine- RH 9.0 - Portable

This is a discussion on newbie: IBM TP R40 - spastic UltraNav, though USB mouse works fine- RH 9.0 - Portable ; I am encountering a frustrating issue on a dual boot (XP & RH 9) system. Once again, this is an IBM ThinkPad R40. As I recall, during original install of RH 9, the internal pointing devices (both stick and touchpad) ...

  1. newbie: IBM TP R40 - spastic UltraNav, though USB mouse works fine- RH 9.0

    I am encountering a frustrating issue on a dual boot (XP & RH 9) system.
    Once again, this is an IBM ThinkPad R40.

    As I recall, during original install of RH 9, the internal pointing
    devices (both stick and touchpad) worked. Upon first boot, however, both
    internal pointing devices stopped working. The cursor can be moved by
    the touchpad, but it keeps snapping back to lower left corner.
    Attempting to use the stick yields mcuh the same results, with the
    addition of what seems to be interpreted as random clicks all over the
    screen - menus come and go, etc.

    This behavior is not only present in X, but also in text tty sessions.
    (OK, no menus popping up in the consoles, but random marking of screen
    regions occurs).

    An external USB mouse works fine. All behaves properly in XP.

    I have been unable to find any info on this - seems that those that have
    similar machines have not encountered this problem.

    Tried updating through Red Hat Network to possibly solve the problem -
    no joy. New kernel, same behavior.

    Can anyone suggest some things to try?

  2. Re: newbie: IBM TP R40 - spastic UltraNav, though USB mouse worksfine - RH 9.0

    Joe Breher wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest some things to try?

    If you played around with the bios settings for them,
    set them back to the defaults.

    Read up on gpm. Verify it is correctly configured on
    your system. Mine is running as:

    gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/mouse

    Go to: Red Hat button | System Settings | Mouse
    Select 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)
    OK

    You might try this advice:
    http://lists.q-linux.com/pipermail/p...er/004920.html

  3. Re: newbie: IBM TP R40 - spastic UltraNav, though USB mouse worksfine - RH 9.0

    Steve Barr wrote:
    > Joe Breher wrote:

    > If you played around with the bios settings for them,
    > set them back to the defaults.

    Only settings are [disable|automatic] for touchpad and joystick. Both
    set to automatic.

    > Read up on gpm. Verify it is correctly configured on
    > your system. Mine is running as:
    >
    > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/mouse

    Is this for console screens only? Hard to tell from the man page.
    Nevertheless...

    > Go to: Red Hat button | System Settings | Mouse
    > Select 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)
    > OK

    ....Thanx - this worked. I was set to MS Scroll mouse. After setting to
    generic 3 button PS/2* the unit now works.

    *(and reboot - any way I could have gotten around rebooting?)

    For the next layer of the onion, the UltraNav does some extra things in
    WinXP. I have it set up so the touchpad does nothing, save for emulate
    the scroll wheel on a scroll mouse - in only the center region of the
    touchpad. Also, the buttons associated with the touchpad invoke PageUp
    and PageDown, rather than LeftButton and RightButton. I would like to
    have the same functionality in linux. Do you have a recommendation as to
    what to read to enable this functionality? Or is this a non-starter?

    Thanx,
    Joe

  4. Re: newbie: IBM TP R40 - spastic UltraNav, though USB mouse worksfine - RH 9.0

    Glad one of those suggestions worked. I haven't had the problem
    you described on my T40p, so was guessing.

    Joe Breher wrote:
    > For the next layer of the onion, the UltraNav does some extra things in
    > WinXP. I have it set up so the touchpad does nothing, save for emulate
    > the scroll wheel on a scroll mouse - in only the center region of the
    > touchpad. Also, the buttons associated with the touchpad invoke PageUp
    > and PageDown, rather than LeftButton and RightButton. I would like to
    > have the same functionality in linux. Do you have a recommendation as to
    > what to read to enable this functionality? Or is this a non-starter?

    Probably doesn't do what you want yet, but you
    might want to play with tpctl
    ThinkPad configuration tools for Linux
    http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/

    Perhaps you can extend it (or provide the author
    of it with useful info on the UltraNav).

  5. Re: newbie: IBM TP R40 - spastic UltraNav, though USB mouse worksfine - RH 9.0

    Steve Barr wrote:

    > Probably doesn't do what you want yet, but you
    > might want to play with tpctl
    > ThinkPad configuration tools for Linux
    > http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/

    Looks most intriguing - thanx for the pointer.

+ Reply to Thread