noise from laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on noise from laptop - Portable ; hello, i bought a brand new SONY VAIO PCG-FR285M laptop and i don't know why but when running linux on it it makes strange noises. when linux is loading that's ok but why after loading i do nothing and can ...

  1. noise from laptop

    hello,

    i bought a brand new SONY VAIO PCG-FR285M laptop and i don't know why but
    when running linux on it it makes strange noises. when linux is loading
    that's ok but why after loading i do nothing and can hear very quiet
    clicking... i tried to find out if any process is using HDD and all
    processes are sleping. also when i move the mouse pointer on display it
    makes quiet "click" with evry pixel it goes trough. the loudest sound comes
    out when maximizing and minimazing windows it's funny but i don't think
    it should be that way... i have also copy of windows xp on it provided with
    laptop and there is no such problem when running windows.
    is it the problem with HDD driver? right now when i write it swap is not
    being used, there is still 267MB of ram memory free so it can't be swapping
    pages to hdd.

    more details:

    PIV 2.4GHz
    RAM 512 MB
    HDD 40GB
    Slackware 9.0
    kernel 2.4.20

    any ideas?

    regards,

    madmax

  2. Re: noise from laptop

    madmax wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > i bought a brand new SONY VAIO PCG-FR285M laptop and i don't know
    > why but
    > when running linux on it it makes strange noises. when linux is loading
    > that's ok but why after loading i do nothing and can hear very quiet
    > clicking... i tried to find out if any process is using HDD and all
    > processes are sleping. also when i move the mouse pointer on display it
    > makes quiet "click" with evry pixel it goes trough. the loudest sound
    > comes out when maximizing and minimazing windows it's funny but i don't
    > think it should be that way... i have also copy of windows xp on it
    > provided with laptop and there is no such problem when running windows.
    > is it the problem with HDD driver? right now when i write it swap
    > is not
    > being used, there is still 267MB of ram memory free so it can't be
    > swapping pages to hdd.
    >
    > more details:
    >
    > PIV 2.4GHz
    > RAM 512 MB
    > HDD 40GB
    > Slackware 9.0
    > kernel 2.4.20
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > madmax

    Try turning off sound effects.

    Alice

  3. Re: noise from laptop

    Alice wrote:

    > madmax wrote:
    >
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> i bought a brand new SONY VAIO PCG-FR285M laptop and i don't know
    >> why but
    >> when running linux on it it makes strange noises. when linux is loading
    >> that's ok but why after loading i do nothing and can hear very quiet
    >> clicking... i tried to find out if any process is using HDD and all
    >> processes are sleping. also when i move the mouse pointer on display it
    >> makes quiet "click" with evry pixel it goes trough. the loudest sound
    >> comes out when maximizing and minimazing windows it's funny but i
    >> don't think it should be that way... i have also copy of windows xp on it
    >> provided with laptop and there is no such problem when running windows.
    >> is it the problem with HDD driver? right now when i write it swap
    >> is not
    >> being used, there is still 267MB of ram memory free so it can't be
    >> swapping pages to hdd.
    >>
    >> more details:
    >>
    >> PIV 2.4GHz
    >> RAM 512 MB
    >> HDD 40GB
    >> Slackware 9.0
    >> kernel 2.4.20
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >>
    >> regards,
    >>
    >> madmax

    > Try turning off sound effects.
    >
    > Alice

    they are OFF. i unloaded souncard modules and situation is the same...

    madmax

  4. Re: noise from laptop

    madmax wrote:
    > they are OFF. i unloaded souncard modules and situation is the same...

    Have you tried muting Line In, Mic, CD-Rom and (if existant) Aux? (all
    channels except Master and PCM)
    On my old Dell I have the same Problem (mouse movement noise) when CD is not
    muted.

    Greetings
    ~sth

  5. Re: noise from laptop

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:49:11 +0200, madmax wrote in
    comp.os.linux.portable:

    > when i move the mouse pointer on display it
    >makes quiet "click" with evry pixel it goes trough. the loudest sound comes
    >out when maximizing and minimazing windows it's funny but i don't think
    >it should be that way...

    My Compaq does the same thing. It's notably louder when I have my 802.11b
    card inserted, since I get noise for moving the mouse *and* noise for
    sending/receiving packets. It even makes the noise when I use the
    case-mounted mute button.

    I assume the problem is signal induction caused by poor grounding and/or
    RF shielding in the amp finals.

    FWIW, I used to have an Kawai organ in the late 70's (that was before
    consumers could afford "keyboards" :-P) that could receive CB radio
    signals from the neighbor's car when he was yakking in his driveway.

  6. Re: noise from laptop

    madmax wrote in message news:...
    > hello,
    >
    > i bought a brand new SONY VAIO PCG-FR285M laptop and i don't know why but
    > when running linux on it it makes strange noises. when linux is loading
    > that's ok but why after loading i do nothing and can hear very quiet
    > clicking... i tried to find out if any process is using HDD and all
    > processes are sleping. also when i move the mouse pointer on display it
    > makes quiet "click" with evry pixel it goes trough. the loudest sound comes
    > out when maximizing and minimazing windows it's funny but i don't think
    > it should be that way... i have also copy of windows xp on it provided with
    > laptop and there is no such problem when running windows.
    > is it the problem with HDD driver? right now when i write it swap is not
    > being used, there is still 267MB of ram memory free so it can't be swapping
    > pages to hdd.
    >
    > more details:
    >
    > PIV 2.4GHz
    > RAM 512 MB
    > HDD 40GB
    > Slackware 9.0
    > kernel 2.4.20
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > madmax

    FYI, I've got the same machine running Topologilinux 3.1.0 which is
    essentially Slackware 9.0 and I don't have the clicking issue (I've
    still got the default of 64MB for video, not that I'd feel that'd make
    any difference).

    One thing that I noticed on my setup, was that if I had a USB mouse in
    the third USB socket (the one at the back of the machine), linux would
    crash on bootup. May be worth removing any USB devices you have
    plugged in?

    I'm still using the default of vesa device, as opposed to radeon (any
    tips on getting that to work would be appreciated, really would like
    accelerated GL).

    I don't think I've been much help there TBH, but at least you know it
    doesn't need to click

    Regards,
    Si.

+ Reply to Thread