Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP! - Portable

This is a discussion on Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP! - Portable ; I have had RH7.3 successfully installed on my Dell C840 for several months, and have used an external monitor when the laptop is in its dock. When using PartiionMagic on my Win XP partition crashed the hard disk on my ...

  1. Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    I have had RH7.3 successfully installed on my Dell C840 for several
    months, and have used an external monitor when the laptop is in its
    dock. When using PartiionMagic on my Win XP partition crashed the hard
    disk on my Dell C840, I decided to update from RH7.3 to RH9.

    I installed RH9 with the laptop undocked and displaying on the internal
    LCD and, after some monkeying around, got X working correctly.

    All my attempts to get X to work on an external monitor, both undocked
    and docked have been futile. All I get is a messed-up display. A non-X
    display (ctrl-alt-F1, for example), however, displays correctly on both
    internal and external monitors.

    So I thought, "I'll just reinstall RH9 the way I installed RH7.3, with
    the laptop docked and the lid closed." Good idea, but it doesn't work.
    The install process boots and gets to the point where it says it's
    trying to start the native X server and the screen goes blank. Pressing
    ctrl-alt-F1 brings up the install screen which says the X server was
    started successfully. Pressing ctrl-alt-F7 yields a blank screen again.

    I went around and around with this, trying different external LCD
    monitors, trying it with the laptop undocked and the external monitor
    connected up to the laptop instead of the dock, and on and on, and
    finally gave up on RH9 and tried installing RH7.3. With RH7.3, the
    install process is able to start up the X server AND I get a proper X
    display on the external monitor.

    What's wrong? Shouldn't a later version of XFree86 be able to run on
    hardware that an earlier version handles properly? I do want to run RH9,
    but always using the smaller laptop display causes problems.

    Thanks for any help,

    Craig

  2. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    Michael White wrote:
    > Craig,
    >
    > This'll probably fix it. You can search the Dell Yahoo news groups and
    > probably find the original posting.

    Unfortunately, it does not fix the problem (even with many permutations
    of what's written in the posting) and I'm still using my laptop display.

    Craig

  3. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    Craig McCluskey wrote:

    > I installed RH9 with the laptop undocked and displaying on the internal
    > LCD and, after some monkeying around, got X working correctly.
    >
    > All my attempts to get X to work on an external monitor, both undocked
    > and docked have been futile. All I get is a messed-up display. A non-X
    > display (ctrl-alt-F1, for example), however, displays correctly on both
    > internal and external monitors.

    I have made some progress.

    I run redhat-config-xfree86 on my laptop's display and click on the
    Advanced tab, and then click on Configure for the video card. I then
    change the driver from "nv" to "vesa".

    With this change, when in init 3, I can then change to the external
    display, type startx and see X on the external monitor. Unfortunately,
    it is at a much lower resolution than the external monitor's preferred
    1600x1200. X is ignoring the modes higher than, I would guess, 800x600.

    Any suggestions on how to proceed now? (It really is frustrating since I
    had no X problems in RHL7.3.)

    Thanks,

    Craig

  4. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    I have a Dell Latitude D600 with a Radeon 9000 mobile video card,
    running RH9. I also experience this problem (along with 500 other
    ones) and found if I decreased the resolution to anything less than
    1400x1050 the display on the docking station works fine. I don't know
    if this is an issue with the docking station, or maybe this won't work
    with the nVidia. Good luck.

    Also, not exactly on topic, but have you gotten the audio jack to work
    on the docking station? Mine doesn't work.

    Brandon

  5. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    Brandon Keepers wrote:

    > I have a Dell Latitude D600 with a Radeon 9000 mobile video card,
    > running RH9.

    Hi - can't help with your problem, sorry, but would ask: did Dell set you up
    with RH9 or did you do it yourself? I've found www.dell.com/linux, which
    says they can do it, but doesn't give any way to get there from here.

    What are your 500 other problems (remove nomspa for email) :-)

    I've got an old Sony R505 that I've loaded with Mandrake 9.0, but there are
    some things that don't work (besides the computer wearing out: USB sockets,
    keyboards, etc.); haven't succeeded in gettingthe network to work in
    Mandrake 9.1; so would like a new machine with a proven Linux base...

    Thanks, Andy

  6. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:47:05 -0600, Craig McCluskey wrote:

    > I installed RH9 with the laptop undocked and displaying on the internal
    > LCD and, after some monkeying around, got X working correctly.
    >
    > All my attempts to get X to work on an external monitor, both undocked
    > and docked have been futile. All I get is a messed-up display. A non-X
    > display (ctrl-alt-F1, for example), however, displays correctly on both
    > internal and external monitors.
    >

    > Craig

    Craig;

    Check out http://www.mit.edu/~matthew1/c840/c840_setup.html. This chap
    installed rh v8 and discusses a bit about external monitors.

    Let us know how it turns out,

    -Ungoy

  7. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    Brandon Keepers wrote:
    > ... found if I decreased the resolution to anything less than
    > 1400x1050 the display on the docking station works fine. I don't know
    > if this is an issue with the docking station, or maybe this won't work
    > with the nVidia.

    I've been trying to run 1280x1024 with no success.

    > Good luck.

    Thanks.

    > Also, not exactly on topic, but have you gotten the audio jack to work
    > on the docking station? Mine doesn't work.

    Nor does mine. I just plug the external speakers into the laptop's jack.

    Craig

  8. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    Ungoy wrote:
    > Check out http://www.mit.edu/~matthew1/c840/c840_setup.html. This chap
    > installed rh v8 and discusses a bit about external monitors.
    >
    > Let us know how it turns out,

    That chap started out with RH8 but went back to RH7.3 because of PERL
    issues. When I had 7.3 on the laptop, the internal/external/dock
    problems were non-existant; everything worked as it should.

    His information on the modem looks to be very helpful, though.

    I've been submitting questions to http://bugs.xfree86.org/ on bug 254
    and have been getting some help, though the problem isn't solved yet.

    Craig

  9. Re: Dell laptop, external monitor, and RH9 -- PROBLEMS! HELP!

    Craig McCluskey wrote in message news:<3f72233f$1_1@news3.es.net>...
    > Ungoy wrote:
    > > Check out http://www.mit.edu/~matthew1/c840/c840_setup.html. This chap
    > > installed rh v8 and discusses a bit about external monitors.
    > >
    > > Let us know how it turns out,

    > That chap started out with RH8 but went back to RH7.3 because of PERL
    > issues. When I had 7.3 on the laptop, the internal/external/dock
    > problems were non-existant; everything worked as it should.
    >
    > His information on the modem looks to be very helpful, though.
    >
    > I've been submitting questions to http://bugs.xfree86.org/ on bug 254
    > and have been getting some help, though the problem isn't solved yet.

    Well, the problem is finally solved! But it took so long the thread
    disappeared from my news server and I had to sign up for Google Groups
    to post the reply.

    I got no real answers on bug 254 at http://bugs.xfree86.org/, which is
    on the nv driver for nVidia cards, but the discussion there changed
    from the nv driver to the vesa driver. So I opened a new bug (#759) on
    the vesa driver and asked for some help.

    Yesterday, I was able to locate a spare notebook hard disk in our
    group. I removed the hard disk with RHL9 on it and installed the
    spare. On the spare I installed RHL7.3. With the stock installation
    (which selected the nv driver), I found I could use the external
    display but not my laptop's internal display! I then changed my Red
    Hat Network preferences and updated the installation of RHL7.3. About
    580 MB later, I rebooted the system to take advantage of the new
    kernel. In run level 3, I ran Xconfigurator and found it would not
    function with a color depth of 24bpp. I remembered then that I had
    used 16bpp before and made the switch. Voila! I could switch between
    the external monitor and the laptop's internal display with no
    problems at 1600x1200. I made copies of the X startup log, XF86Config
    and XF86Config-4, and posted my observations on bug 759. I did note
    that the laptop was now using the vesa driver.

    Egbert Eich replied, noted that I was using 16bpp in 7.3 and 24bpp in
    9, and asked me to try 16bbp in RHL9. I swapped hard disks back,
    booted RHL9, switched to the vesa driver with 16bpp and started X.
    Again it worked at 1600x1200 and properly allowed switching between
    the internal display and an external monitor. Egbert said I could not
    use 24bpp because, eventhough my graphics adaptor as 32MB of RAM, the
    BIOS doesn't support it.

    So, now things work like they did in RHL7.3 and I'm happy. It's been a
    long road. Thank you all who thought about this problem and tried to
    help me.

    Craig

+ Reply to Thread