No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile - Portable

This is a discussion on No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile - Portable ; Hello I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that ...

  1. No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

    Hello
    I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running
    Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my
    laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that
    the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 already has
    ACPI enabled (patch and all). But, this wouldn't work for me (system
    hangs during boot time). So, I recompiled the kernel, and disabled
    APM. Now, ACPI is enabled, and the system boots, but the processor
    itself could not be throttled.

    This is my /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    processor id: 0
    acpi id: 0
    bus mastering control: yes
    power management: no
    throttling control: no
    performance management: no
    limit interface: no

    The processor only supports the C1 state. I have also tried patching
    other versions of the Mandrake kernel, but without success. Can
    someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? If I use a regular kernel from
    kernel.org, would the regular Linux apps and drivers still work with
    Mandrake?

    My dmesg.out is at http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/dmesg.out
    and my .config for the kernel is at
    http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/config.

    Thanks
    -Ravi

  2. Re: No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

    "Ravishankar Rao" wrote in message
    news:eceb3ec1.0308252043.6e965e19@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello
    > I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running
    > Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my
    > laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that
    > the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 already has
    > ACPI enabled (patch and all). But, this wouldn't work for me (system
    > hangs during boot time). So, I recompiled the kernel, and disabled
    > APM. Now, ACPI is enabled, and the system boots, but the processor
    > itself could not be throttled.
    >
    > This is my /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    > processor id: 0
    > acpi id: 0
    > bus mastering control: yes
    > power management: no
    > throttling control: no
    > performance management: no
    > limit interface: no
    >
    > The processor only supports the C1 state. I have also tried patching
    > other versions of the Mandrake kernel, but without success. Can
    > someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? If I use a regular kernel from
    > kernel.org, would the regular Linux apps and drivers still work with
    > Mandrake?
    >
    > My dmesg.out is at http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/dmesg.out
    > and my .config for the kernel is at
    > http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/config.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Ravi

    I can't tell from your post. You do realize that APM and ACPI are
    different?

    also
    Linux Laptops - HowTo
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc..._single/Laptop
    -HOWTO.html

    Linux Mobile Guide http://tuxmobil.org/howtos.html

  3. Re: No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

    news:eceb3ec1.0308261040.56bfbb34@posting.google.c om...

    > > I can't tell from your post. You do realize that APM and ACPI are
    > > different?
    > >
    > > also
    > > Linux Laptops - HowTo

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc..._single/Laptop
    > > -HOWTO.html
    > >
    > > Linux Mobile Guide http://tuxmobil.org/howtos.html

    > Yes, I disabled APM in the kernel, because it seemed to cause problems
    > while booting, perhaps my BIOS does not support APM, anyway it's ACPI
    > that matters isn't it? Is there a known problem with acpi for Athlon's
    > or is it just me - because my friend used the same Mandrake 9.1
    > kernel, and acpi with throttling, fan control, .. worked for him - he
    > has a HP laptop with a P4.
    >
    > -Ravi

    I'm not sure about known problems w/Athlon chipsets. In /var/log/ you
    should have logs that indicate whether or not APM was able to start. I have
    an HP Pavillion XT155 (Celeron 1.8 ghz) and the fan has continually come on
    and off during all of my experiments, leading me to think that it has it's
    own logic independant of the OS. I was compiling various kernels with
    different options and patches to get ACPI working (to read battery status).

  4. Re: No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

    Ravishankar Rao wrote:

    > Hello
    > I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running
    > Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my
    > laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that
    > the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 already has
    > ACPI enabled (patch and all). But, this wouldn't work for me (system
    > hangs during boot time). So, I recompiled the kernel, and disabled
    > APM. Now, ACPI is enabled, and the system boots, but the processor
    > itself could not be throttled.

    If you could send me a email tomorrow (replace cold with hot on my email
    address) I'll check on my laptop and tell you. I have a Compaq 2100 with
    the Athlon 1800 and power management seems fine. No recompiling no
    nothing required. When I first installed MDK 9.1, I had no power
    management and the fan was on 100% of the time but now, after getting
    ACPI working it seems fine though I have never poked into any files..

  5. Re: No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

    Ravishankar Rao wrote:
    > Hello
    > I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running
    > Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my
    > laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that
    > the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 already has
    > ACPI enabled (patch and all). But, this wouldn't work for me (system
    > hangs during boot time). So, I recompiled the kernel, and disabled
    > APM. Now, ACPI is enabled, and the system boots, but the processor
    > itself could not be throttled.
    >
    > This is my /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    > processor id: 0
    > acpi id: 0
    > bus mastering control: yes
    > power management: no
    > throttling control: no
    > performance management: no
    > limit interface: no

    Same stuff on my laptop

  6. Re: No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:53:54 +0000, SD wrote:

    > Ravishankar Rao wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running
    >> Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my
    >> laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that
    >> the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 already has
    >> ACPI enabled (patch and all). But, this wouldn't work for me (system
    >> hangs during boot time). So, I recompiled the kernel, and disabled
    >> APM. Now, ACPI is enabled, and the system boots, but the processor
    >> itself could not be throttled.
    >>
    >> This is my /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    >> processor id: 0
    >> acpi id: 0
    >> bus mastering control: yes
    >> power management: no
    >> throttling control: no
    >> performance management: no
    >> limit interface: no
    >>

    > Same stuff on my laptop

    Try re-compiling the kernel with 'Local APIC support on uniprocessors' set
    to 'n'.

    Cheers,

    peter.

  7. Re: No pwr mgmt Athlon Mandrake after recompile

    SD wrote:

    > Ravishankar Rao wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >> I have a HP ze4145 laptop with a mobile Athlon XP 1800, running
    >> Mandrake 9.1. I've been wanting to use Linux as the only OS on my
    >> laptop - power management is the only issue though. I understand that
    >> the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 already has
    >> ACPI enabled (patch and all). But, this wouldn't work for me (system
    >> hangs during boot time). So, I recompiled the kernel, and disabled
    >> APM. Now, ACPI is enabled, and the system boots, but the processor
    >> itself could not be throttled.
    >>
    >> This is my /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    >> processor id: 0
    >> acpi id: 0
    >> bus mastering control: yes
    >> power management: no
    >> throttling control: no
    >> performance management: no
    >> limit interface: no
    >>

    > Same stuff on my laptop

    Upgraded to 9.2 RC1 and now power management says yes

+ Reply to Thread