On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:30:55 -0700, Nathaniel Janewit typed:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a CDRW/DVD combo drive on my laptop. When I insert a DVD,
> apparently /etc/fstab does not have /dev/dvd configured and will mount
> it as a CDROM and not let me play DVDs with gmplayer.
>
> Do you know how to get DVDs to play on RedHat9?

As root from the console or xterm session type the following commands;

ls -al /dev/cdrom (assuming the results = /dev/scd0 for below)

ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd

raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/scd0
ln -s /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/rdvd

One last thing, you might find adding the following line, as root, in
/etc/modules.conf (if not already present)will improve the playback speed;

options ide-cd dma=1

Some suggested reading;

$ man ln
$ man ls
The release notes on the 1st CD
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

--
If it's Thursday it must be Micro$oft patching day!!!