wireless card and freezing - Portable

This is a discussion on wireless card and freezing - Portable ; Hi all, I run RedHat9 kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on a Dell Inspiron 8200. I have configured a wireless 802.11b card, the Linksys WPC11 Network Card, as eth1 retrieving IP information using dhcp. After about 7 hours of normal use (this is ...

  1. wireless card and freezing

    Hi all,

    I run RedHat9 kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on a Dell Inspiron 8200. I have
    configured a wireless 802.11b card, the Linksys WPC11 Network Card, as
    eth1 retrieving IP information using dhcp. After about 7 hours of
    normal use (this is consistent every time I try it), my computer will
    freeze.

    It will not respond to mouse or keyboard (not even Ctrl+Alt+Del or
    Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), and the hard disk will whir for a long time and act
    as if busy but does not do anything. The computer will respond to ping
    (indicating perhaps the kernel or maybe my network card is still alive)
    but will not respond to ssh. The output in/var/log/messages immediately
    before the freeze is as follows:

    Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 63.207.122.60
    port 67
    Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPACK from 63.207.122.60
    Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: bound to 63.207.122.105 -- renewal
    in 3595 s econds.

    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    Nate Janewit
    P.O. Box 12424
    Stanford, CA 94309
    (740) 701-6285

  2. Re: wireless card and freezing

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:40:03 -0700, Nathaniel Janewit wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I run RedHat9 kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on a Dell Inspiron 8200. I have
    > configured a wireless 802.11b card, the Linksys WPC11 Network Card, as
    > eth1 retrieving IP information using dhcp. After about 7 hours of normal
    > use (this is consistent every time I try it), my computer will freeze.
    >
    > It will not respond to mouse or keyboard (not even Ctrl+Alt+Del or
    > Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), and the hard disk will whir for a long time and act
    > as if busy but does not do anything. The computer will respond to ping
    > (indicating perhaps the kernel or maybe my network card is still alive)
    > but will not respond to ssh. The output in/var/log/messages immediately
    > before the freeze is as follows:
    >
    > Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 63.207.122.60
    > port 67
    > Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPACK from 63.207.122.60 Aug 22
    > 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: bound to 63.207.122.105 -- renewal in 3595 s
    > econds.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    >

    > Nate Janewit
    > P.O. Box 12424
    > Stanford, CA 94309
    > (740) 701-6285

    Do you have WEP enabled? If you do try disabling it. My experience with
    this card is that it works fine with WEP off but hangs with WEP on. When
    it hangs there is no way to get it to work again without rebooting the
    machine, ifdown/ifup are useless after a WEP induced hang.

  3. Re: wireless card and freezing

    In article <20030823014003.1956d434.njanewit@stanford.edu>,
    Nathaniel Janewit wrote:
    > I run RedHat9 kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on a Dell Inspiron 8200. I have
    > configured a wireless 802.11b card, the Linksys WPC11 Network Card, as
    > eth1 retrieving IP information using dhcp. After about 7 hours of
    > normal use (this is consistent every time I try it), my computer will
    > freeze.

    I guess you are using the orinoco_cs driver (since the device is "eth1").
    Have you tried the linux-wlan-ng driver (perhaps RH9 provides it)? Most
    people seem to prefer it for the Prism cards. (It calls the device "wlan0"
    or similar.)

    http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/

    --
    Paul Kimoto
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text. Any images,

  4. Re: wireless card and freezing

    I have encryption (I believe that applies to WEP) disabled. It will
    still hang. If there is more setup involved to disabling WEP than just
    disabling a key, then please tell me.

    As to trying a new driver, I heard that linux-wlan-ng messes with
    iwconfig, which is something I want to avoid doing.

    Any ideas for a solution would be a great help.

    Nate

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:02:34 -0400
    "B. Joshua Rosen" wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:40:03 -0700, Nathaniel Janewit wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I run RedHat9 kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on a Dell Inspiron 8200. I have
    > > configured a wireless 802.11b card, the Linksys WPC11 Network Card,
    > > as eth1 retrieving IP information using dhcp. After about 7 hours of
    > > normal use (this is consistent every time I try it), my computer
    > > will freeze.
    > >
    > > It will not respond to mouse or keyboard (not even Ctrl+Alt+Del or
    > > Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), and the hard disk will whir for a long time and
    > > act as if busy but does not do anything. The computer will respond
    > > to ping(indicating perhaps the kernel or maybe my network card is
    > > still alive) but will not respond to ssh. The output
    > > in/var/log/messages immediately before the freeze is as follows:
    > >
    > > Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to
    > > 63.207.122.60 port 67
    > > Aug 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: DHCPACK from 63.207.122.60 Aug
    > > 22 16:15:19 localhost dhclient: bound to 63.207.122.105 -- renewal
    > > in 3595 s econds.
    > >
    > > Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    > >

    > > Nate Janewit
    > > P.O. Box 12424
    > > Stanford, CA 94309
    > > (740) 701-6285

    > Do you have WEP enabled? If you do try disabling it. My experience
    > with this card is that it works fine with WEP off but hangs with WEP
    > on. When it hangs there is no way to get it to work again without
    > rebooting the machine, ifdown/ifup are useless after a WEP induced
    > hang.

  5. Re: wireless card and freezing

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:59:41 -0700, Nathaniel Janewit wrote:

    > I have encryption (I believe that applies to WEP) disabled. It will
    > still hang. If there is more setup involved to disabling WEP than just
    > disabling a key, then please tell me.
    >
    > As to trying a new driver, I heard that linux-wlan-ng messes with
    > iwconfig, which is something I want to avoid doing.
    >
    > Any ideas for a solution would be a great help.

    If there is no WEP key then you have WEP disabled. You can find out for
    sure by doing an iwconfig.

    You might want to try the latest kernel, there were some improvements made
    to the Orinoco driver in 2.4.21. I can't promise that it will fix your
    problem but it might help. It doesn't seem like the Orinoco driver is well
    maintained, it seems to work OK for me with WEP off but with WEP on it
    hangs in a matter of seconds.

  6. Re: wireless card and freezing

    In article <20030823095941.0ca00131.njanewit@stanford.edu>,
    Nathaniel Janewit wrote:
    > As to trying a new driver, I heard that linux-wlan-ng messes with
    > iwconfig, which is something I want to avoid doing.

    As far as I can tell, linux-wlan-ng does not *change* iwconfig, but
    rather some iwconfig commands fail because the wlanctl-ng and wlancfg
    commands are supposed to be used instead.

    If this sort of thing really bothers you, then you could try the HostAP
    drivers, which claim to work in the usual client mode also. (Are they
    still at http://hostap.epitest.fi/ ? I can't reach this site at the
    moment.)

    --
    Paul Kimoto
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text. Any images,
    hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
    and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  7. Re: wireless card and freezing

    Hi,

    Paul Kimoto a écrit:

    > As far as I can tell, linux-wlan-ng does not *change* iwconfig, but
    > rather some iwconfig commands fail because the wlanctl-ng and wlancfg
    > commands are supposed to be used instead.

    Yes, with other hardware, iwconfig don't work too. For example for
    setting up WEP encryption with the MA111, from NetGear. But wlanctl-ng
    offers a lot of possibilies, and I didn't test all for now.

    And I confirm it's very easy to freeze : /sbin/modprobe prism2_usb
    prism2_doreset=1 do it _every_time_ on x86 (but not on powerpc [why?])

    I don't know if it's true (I've read it, so...), but the problem seems
    to be wlanctl-ng and wlancfg are not completely Linux-compliant,
    particularly with the kernel ioctl.

    > If this sort of thing really bothers you, then you could try the HostAP
    > drivers, which claim to work in the usual client mode also.
    > (Are they
    > still at http://hostap.epitest.fi/ ? I can't reach this site at the
    > moment.)

    Same problem with me. Perhaps an update ;-)

    Best regards

    ##############################

    BTW : if someone can give me the tip for setting up the 128bits WEP with
    wlanctl-gl, I'll very glad to read the solution :-)

    The corresponding command (with false example) with iwconfig is :

    iwconfig wlan0 key 9786AAADDD47163434DEEFA235 [1]

    ( key 1 among 4 possible keys )

    [ if necessary, take "osiris" for the SSID of the AP, and "Hermes I" for
    it's Nickname ]

    Thank's a lot

    --
    eric dot bachard at utbm dot fr

  8. Re: wireless card and freezing

    B. Joshua Rosen wrote:

    > You might want to try the latest kernel, there were some improvements made
    > to the Orinoco driver in 2.4.21. I can't promise that it will fix your
    > problem but it might help. It doesn't seem like the Orinoco driver is well
    > maintained, it seems to work OK for me with WEP off but with WEP on it
    > hangs in a matter of seconds.

    The orinoco driver is actually quite well maintained. It is a hard
    job because there are a bunch of mostly-compatible chipsets, and
    various firmware revisions to keep track of.

    Speaking of which, if you can, you may want to check for a firmware
    upgrade for your card.

    -- Dave

  9. Re: wireless card and freezing

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 06:53:51 +0000, dhind wrote:

    > B. Joshua Rosen wrote:
    >
    >> You might want to try the latest kernel, there were some improvements
    >> made to the Orinoco driver in 2.4.21. I can't promise that it will fix
    >> your problem but it might help. It doesn't seem like the Orinoco driver
    >> is well maintained, it seems to work OK for me with WEP off but with
    >> WEP on it hangs in a matter of seconds.

    > The orinoco driver is actually quite well maintained. It is a hard job
    > because there are a bunch of mostly-compatible chipsets, and various
    > firmware revisions to keep track of.
    >
    > Speaking of which, if you can, you may want to check for a firmware
    > upgrade for your card.
    >
    > -- Dave

    Linksys doesn't have any firmware updates for the WPC11v3. The card seems
    to work fine under Win2K so it's not a hardware issue.

    Has anyone been able to get a Linksys WPC11v3 working reliably with WEP
    enabled? If someone has I'd appreciate knowing if there were any special
    magic incantations that you used to get it to work.

+ Reply to Thread