Install note for the ATI Mobility M3/M4 - Portable

This is a discussion on Install note for the ATI Mobility M3/M4 - Portable ; Problem: For those of you using the ATI Mobility M3/M4 on their laptop computers (e.g. the Dell Latitude C800), Mandrake 9.1 may report an error when you configure Display on install. In fact, the graphic card option that Mandrake automatically ...

  1. Install note for the ATI Mobility M3/M4

    Problem:

    For those of you using the ATI Mobility M3/M4 on their laptop computers
    (e.g. the Dell Latitude C800), Mandrake 9.1 may report an error when you
    configure Display on install. In fact, the graphic card option that
    Mandrake automatically points you to - an ATI Rage 128 - will result in a
    failure of the graphical interface and a launch in terminal mode only. A
    little frustrating for those who still know nothing about Unix commands!

    Solution:

    Launch the installation CD again, opt for "updating Mandrake" and - in the
    install summary (graphic card configuration), click on VESA "in XFREE". It
    should do it.

    I realize this may sound basic of obvious for the wizards, but I must admit
    it took me a few hours to find it out!

    Regards,

    BHL

  2. Re: Install note for the ATI Mobility M3/M4

    Benjamin-Hugo LeBlanc wrote:
    > Problem:
    >
    > For those of you using the ATI Mobility M3/M4 on their laptop computers
    > (e.g. the Dell Latitude C800), Mandrake 9.1 may report an error when you
    > configure Display on install. In fact, the graphic card option that
    > Mandrake automatically points you to - an ATI Rage 128 - will result in a
    > failure of the graphical interface and a launch in terminal mode only. A
    > little frustrating for those who still know nothing about Unix commands!
    >
    > [snip]

    There's a patch here

    http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@.../msg03279.html

    for the U1 that may apply to the M3/M4. I haven't tried it myself.

+ Reply to Thread