Laptop in Text Mode - Portable

This is a discussion on Laptop in Text Mode - Portable ; Just curious, my laptop in text mode has a large border around the screen. It always did this when I had windows on it and switched to either 800x600 or 640x480. Is there a way to make it fill the ...

  1. Laptop in Text Mode

    Just curious, my laptop in text mode has a large border around the
    screen. It always did this when I had windows on it and switched to
    either 800x600 or 640x480. Is there a way to make it fill the screen
    or get bigger anyway? It works just fine and everything is readable,
    I would just like to kick it up a bit.

  2. Re: Laptop in Text Mode

    On 21 Aug 2003 10:32:40 -0700, Felwynne staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Just curious, my laptop in text mode has a large border around the
    > screen. It always did this when I had windows on it and switched to
    > either 800x600 or 640x480. Is there a way to make it fill the screen
    > or get bigger anyway?

    Use the framebuffer console. It might be built into your kernel already
    if you're using a distro-supplied kernel; if not, you'll have to rebuild
    a kernel with VESA framebuffer console support. Then, boot your machine
    with the kernel parameter "vga=0xNNN" where NNN is:

    640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
    0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307

    ....so if you wanted a 1024x768 console, boot with "linux vga=0x305".
    You can make this permanent by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst (if you use
    GRUB) or editing /etc/lilo.conf and rerunning /sbin/lilo (if you use
    LILO.) There are details in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
    .. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: Laptop in Text Mode

    Felwynne wrote:
    > Just curious, my laptop in text mode has a large border around the
    > screen. It always did this when I had windows on it and switched to
    > either 800x600 or 640x480. Is there a way to make it fill the screen
    > or get bigger anyway? It works just fine and everything is readable,
    > I would just like to kick it up a bit.

    Many laptops have a BIOS option which causes lower resolutions (including
    text mode) to be stretched to full screen. This varies from brand to brand
    and model to model.

    --
    Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org
    Boston University Linux ------>