Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop? - Portable

This is a discussion on Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop? - Portable ; Looking for the new Lite-On slim combo drive 24x24x24x+8x, model LSC24082. This is the replacement for the LSC24081. Can't seem to get Lite-On to give names of distributors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -- Dave C. dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com...

  1. Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    --
    Dave C.
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  2. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    begin On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:47:19 -0700, DaveC wrote:

    > Looking for the new Lite-On slim combo drive 24x24x24x+8x, model LSC24082.
    > This is the replacement for the LSC24081.
    >
    > Can't seem to get Lite-On to give names of distributors.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...-id-35077.html

    FYI: I Googled.

    --
    end
    There's no attachment here, your reader is broken by Microsoft's choice!!

  3. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    Dave,

    OWC is at least one. I bought their Firewire CD-R/W drive, and it was made
    by Lite-On.

    DaveC wrote:

    > Looking for the new Lite-On slim combo drive 24x24x24x+8x, model LSC24082.
    > This is the replacement for the LSC24081.
    >
    > Can't seem to get Lite-On to give names of distributors.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Dave C.
    > dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  4. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:20:20 -0700, Tom Cornell wrote
    (in message <3F45537C.D729913D@mindspring.com>):

    > OWC is at least one. I bought their Firewire CD-R/W drive, and it was made
    > by Lite-On.

    But not the internal combo for laptops.
    --
    Dave C.
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  5. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:44:17 -0700, DaveC wrote:

    > But not the internal combo for laptops.

    http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...-id-35077.html

    FYI: I Googled.

  6. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    > Looking for the new Lite-On slim combo drive 24x24x24x+8x, model LSC24082.
    > This is the replacement for the LSC24081.

    Unfortunately, laptop optical drives tend to be OEM parts only. It can
    be very difficult to acquire them until they are old enough to appear
    on the secondary market. (We make devices that include a slimline
    CD-ROM drive, and this sort of issue is a big ongoing problem for us;
    the only accessible sources are very unreliable).

    Your best chance for acquiring one of these drives is probably to keep
    looking on Google for that model# once a week until you find a laptop
    review that mentions it, then do the detective work to find out the
    laptop OEM's internal part# for the drive, THEN search google or ebay
    for the OEM part number, not the Lite-On part number.

  7. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 6:00:26 -0700, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote
    (in message <608b6569.0308220500.2c142079@posting.google.com>):

    >> Looking for the new Lite-On slim combo drive 24x24x24x+8x, model LSC24082.
    >> This is the replacement for the LSC24081.

    > Unfortunately, laptop optical drives tend to be OEM parts only. It can
    > be very difficult to acquire them until they are old enough to appear
    > on the secondary market. (We make devices that include a slimline
    > CD-ROM drive, and this sort of issue is a big ongoing problem for us;
    > the only accessible sources are very unreliable).
    >
    > Your best chance for acquiring one of these drives is probably to keep
    > looking on Google for that model# once a week until you find a laptop
    > review that mentions it, then do the detective work to find out the
    > laptop OEM's internal part# for the drive, THEN search google or ebay
    > for the OEM part number, not the Lite-On part number.

    Beg to differ...

    There is a rampant aftermarket of combo drives being sold which are *not*
    OEM, and since they all (well, most) have the same hardware interface, are
    pretty much a screwdriver-upgrade.

    The software interface is little more. There must be a driver available for a
    same-make optical drive, which it turns out, uses the same command set.
    Simply modifying the driver by adding the model number of the new drive, and
    you've got a very reasonable-cost (compared to the OEM) upgrade.

    The reason I'm looking around for the Lite-On models is that there is, with
    this brand, a rampant "geekfest" of people writing new firmware for the
    drive. Tweaking of parameters is achieved by shareware authors who are
    maximizing the performance of the drives (albeit marginally) beyond what the
    factory has done.
    --
    Dave C.
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  8. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 5:58:23 -0700, Lenard wrote
    (in message ):

    > http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...-id-35077.html

    I, too, Googled up that URL, and others, last week. I called CHQ and they
    said they are "out" and don't know when they will get restocked. I'll call
    them again to see if that's changed.

    I say "out" because the drive is new and they have never had stock, according
    to the manufacturer.

    And speaking of the manufacturer, the US Lite-On office couldn't say who had
    these drives for sale...

    Hence my request for help.

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C.
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  9. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    If you are looking for the 24082 for a Powerbook, I wouldn't get it.
    There are reports that it is not bootable because it is hard wired
    into slave mode. The LSC24081 has a switch for Master/slave/cable
    select which the 24082 reportedly does not have. The only other
    difference between the two is that the 24082 says it can burn CDRW's
    at 24x. Personally, I'd rather have a bootable drive with a non-hacked
    native OSX driver that burns CDRW's at only 12x (but I never burn
    CDRW's anyway), and that is the 24081.

    Mark

    > Looking for the new Lite-On slim combo drive 24x24x24x+8x, model LSC24082.
    > This is the replacement for the LSC24081.

  10. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    On 26 Aug 2003 23:50:18 -0700, makabe@yahoo.com (MSB) wrote:

    >If you are looking for the 24082 for a Powerbook, I wouldn't get it.
    >There are reports that it is not bootable because it is hard wired
    >into slave mode.

    Wow. Yet another discovery of the primitive nature of some of Apple's
    core software.

    Whether or not a device is a (hardware) "master" or "slave" should
    have little difference to whether the software can boot from it. And
    over in the much-maligned PC camp, this has been the case for years.

    [ Snip ]

    >Mark

    Malc.

  11. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:50:18 -0700, MSB wrote
    (in message <52fea600.0308262250.65f5da88@posting.google.com>):

    > If you are looking for the 24082 for a Powerbook, I wouldn't get it.
    > There are reports that it is not bootable because it is hard wired
    > into slave mode. The LSC24081 has a switch for Master/slave/cable
    > select which the 24082 reportedly does not have. The only other
    > difference between the two is that the 24082 says it can burn CDRW's
    > at 24x. Personally, I'd rather have a bootable drive with a non-hacked
    > native OSX driver that burns CDRW's at only 12x (but I never burn
    > CDRW's anyway), and that is the 24081.

    Thanks, Mark. It looks like I'll go for the '81
    --
    Dave C.
    dave-usenet3016@mailblocks.com

  12. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    > > Unfortunately, laptop optical drives tend to be OEM parts only. It can
    > > be very difficult to acquire them until they are old enough to appear
    > > on the secondary market. (We make devices that include a slimline

    > Beg to differ...
    >
    > There is a rampant aftermarket of combo drives being sold which are *not*

    Beg to differ, since I am charged with buying these components for
    low-volume production purposes. All the consumer-channel vendors
    you'll find selling bare drives are selling refurbs (i.e. pulls from
    dead laptops), spare parts from laptop vendors, surplus stock from
    various channels and other secondary-channel merchandise.

    Some distributors of OEM electronic components do sell these drives
    "new", but they don't normally keep them in stock and they aren't
    likely to order just one in for you unless you already have a
    relationship.

    > The software interface is little more. There must be a driver available for a
    > same-make optical drive, which it turns out, uses the same command set.

    ATAPI has a baseline standardized command set (SCSI command set over
    IDE bus) which makes it possible for generic software to work with all
    compliant drives. Some software vendors - e.g. Apple - choose to
    ignore drives they haven't explicitly tested.

  13. Re: Where to find new Lite-On Combo for laptop?

    Lenard wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:44:17 -0700, DaveC wrote:
    >
    > > But not the internal combo for laptops.

    > http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...-id-35077.html
    >
    > FYI: I Googled.

    Not quite a lite-on, but there is: