Re: Linux on an HP Pavilion XT155 - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: Linux on an HP Pavilion XT155 - Portable ; "Jared Richardson" wrote in message news:bhra7g$78m$1@license1.unx.sas.com... > Hi all, > > I am trying to get Linux setup on my laptop. I have put RH 9 on it and have > gotten everything working ~except~ power management. > > The ...

  1. Re: Linux on an HP Pavilion XT155

    "Jared Richardson" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to get Linux setup on my laptop. I have put RH 9 on it and

    have
    > gotten everything working ~except~ power management.
    >
    > The APM message tells me that the BIOS has no APM features. I have ACPI
    > working but can't find an application that uses it. Anything I find

    will
    > not compile on my system or requires a newer version of ACPI.
    >
    > Any hope? I am not wedded to RH... I need good ACPI support (and wireless
    > too but I'll fight that battle next).
    >
    > btw, it's a Pavilion XT155, 1 gig of memory, 1.8 ghz Celeron (P4 core)

    I got something halfway working. I'm using wmacpimon and it monitors CPU
    temp, battery or AC and CPU load. The other functions don't work.

    I'm using a 2.4.20-19 kernel with the apci-20021212.4.20.diff kernel patch
    (from acpi.sourceforge)

    Any further suggestions?

  2. Re: Linux on an HP Pavilion XT155

    > "Jared Richardson" wrote in message
    > > Hi all,

    > > I am trying to get Linux setup on my laptop. I have put RH 9 on it and

    > have
    > > gotten everything working ~except~ power management.
    > >
    > > The APM message tells me that the BIOS has no APM features. I have ACPI
    > > working but can't find an application that uses it. Anything I find

    > will
    > > not compile on my system or requires a newer version of ACPI.
    > >
    > > Any hope? I am not wedded to RH... I need good ACPI support (and

    wireless
    > > too but I'll fight that battle next).
    > >
    > > btw, it's a Pavilion XT155, 1 gig of memory, 1.8 ghz Celeron (P4 core)
    > >

    > I got something halfway working. I'm using wmacpimon and it monitors CPU
    > temp, battery or AC and CPU load. The other functions don't work.
    >
    > I'm using a 2.4.20-19 kernel with the apci-20021212.4.20.diff kernel patch
    > (from acpi.sourceforge)
    >
    > Any further suggestions?

    Sorry to keep furthing this thread alone but someone might find it on Deja
    one day and be happy.

    BattStat seems to read the battery status properly!
    http://battstat.linuxguru.net It's only a command line program but now I
    know that the battery status can be read! It tells me whether or not the
    I'm on AC or battery, charge remaining and time remaining.

    I'll post again if I find something with a gui.

+ Reply to Thread