ANN: Linux On Laptops Manufacturer Report Card Updated - Portable

This is a discussion on ANN: Linux On Laptops Manufacturer Report Card Updated - Portable ; The Linux on Laptops Manufacturer Report Card[1] was updated. A matrix of Original Equipment Manufacturers - OEM relations[2] was added together with tips and tricks how to identify the original laptop manufacturer. Also a list of Linux laptop and PDA ...

  1. ANN: Linux On Laptops Manufacturer Report Card Updated

    The Linux on Laptops Manufacturer Report Card[1] was updated. A
    matrix of Original Equipment Manufacturers - OEM relations[2] was
    added together with tips and tricks how to identify the original
    laptop manufacturer. Also a list of Linux laptop and PDA
    resellers[3] and some information how to avoid the
    Microsoft tax[4] were added.

    Unfortunately even in our times of Linux success, support by
    laptop manufacturers is seldom, or if provided not much helpful.
    Though the marketing departments of some major manufacturers
    have announced Linux support for their laptops, it was not
    developed or silently dropped. Because of the rapid development
    (every manufacturer creates new models almost every three
    months) and the specific hardware of mobile computer devices and
    accessories (see Linux Mobile Guide[5] for details), it is
    important to have current and reliable information about their
    Linux compatibility. A current example is Intel`s new
    Centrino(TM) technology. Though there are many Linux laptop
    installation reports[6] available already, Intel still does not
    provide full Linux support yet.

    [1] http://tuxmobil.org/laptop_manufacturer.html
    [2] http://tuxmobil.org/laptop_oem.html
    [3] http://tuxmobil.org/reseller.html
    [4] http://tuxmobil.org/ms_tax.html
    [5] http://tuxmobil.org/howtos.html
    [6] http://tuxmobil.org/centrino.html

  2. Re: ANN: Linux On Laptops Manufacturer Report Card Updated

    Werner Heuser wrote:

    > Linux compatibility. A current example is Intel`s new
    > Centrino(TM) technology. Though there are many Linux laptop
    > installation reports[6] available already, Intel still does not
    > provide full Linux support yet.

    I've read this in many places, and even signed a petition to Intel.

    But I'm wondering now what exactly is meant by "full Linux support"?
    If the kernel works for this processor, does it matter?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

  3. Re: ANN: Linux On Laptops Manufacturer Report Card Updated

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Werner Heuser wrote:

    >> Linux compatibility. A current example is Intel`s new
    >> Centrino(TM) technology. Though there are many Linux laptop
    >> installation reports[6] available already, Intel still does not
    >> provide full Linux support yet.

    > I've read this in many places, and even signed a petition to Intel.

    > But I'm wondering now what exactly is meant by "full Linux support"?
    > If the kernel works for this processor, does it matter?

    There is no driver for the wireless card - the specs are secret.

    Peter

  4. Re: ANN: Linux On Laptops Manufacturer Report Card Updated

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    > There is no driver for the wireless card - the specs are secret.

    I don't suppose that will take long for the experts to crack.
    Most WiFi cards are "secret" in this sense, aren't they?

    Incidentally, I have mixed feelings about WiFi on the motherboard.
    I quite like the idea that I can try out various PCMCIA WiFi cards,
    and use the one that seems to work the best.
    Eg I have a Sony PCMCIA WiFi card which doesn't seem to work
    nearly as well as my Orinoco Gold card.
    That's under Linux --
    I can't get the Sony card to work under Windows-2000 at all.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
    tel: +353-86-233 6090

  5. Re: ANN: Linux On Laptops Manufacturer Report Card Updated

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    >> There is no driver for the wireless card - the specs are secret.

    > I don't suppose that will take long for the experts to crack.
    > Most WiFi cards are "secret" in this sense, aren't they?

    Not exactly. Orinoco and prism2 are published. Others (adm8211 springs
    to mind) are secret.

    > Incidentally, I have mixed feelings about WiFi on the motherboard.

    \relax. It's not on the mobo. It's a minipci card.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread