Re: apm and fan problems - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: apm and fan problems - Portable ; Nathaniel Janewit wrote: > Hi all, > > I run RedHat 9 on a Dell laptop, an Inspiron 8200. I use apm to suspend > my laptop, after which I close it. Upon opening it again, it will > restart ...

  1. Re: apm and fan problems

    Nathaniel Janewit wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I run RedHat 9 on a Dell laptop, an Inspiron 8200. I use apm to suspend
    > my laptop, after which I close it. Upon opening it again, it will
    > restart perfectly fine where I left off, but the fan goes absolutely
    > crazy and blows like mad even though it's not hot at all. Furthermore,
    > the fan doesn't ever seem to ease up until I reboot.
    >
    > Is there a way to fix this?

    Known problem. Type Esc+z, and the BIOS will sample the temperature
    again and realize it's cool enough not to require the fan.

    Dave Kristol
    P.S. You may find
    useful to you.

  2. Re: apm and fan problems

    Dave Kristol wrote in message news:...
    > Nathaniel Janewit wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I run RedHat 9 on a Dell laptop, an Inspiron 8200. I use apm to suspend
    > > my laptop, after which I close it. Upon opening it again, it will
    > > restart perfectly fine where I left off, but the fan goes absolutely
    > > crazy and blows like mad even though it's not hot at all. Furthermore,
    > > the fan doesn't ever seem to ease up until I reboot.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to fix this?

    > Known problem. Type Esc+z, and the BIOS will sample the temperature
    > again and realize it's cool enough not to require the fan.
    >
    > Dave Kristol
    > P.S. You may find
    > useful to you.

    i've got this sort of problem on a sharp gc10-ch
    i'm running 2.4.19-16mdk mandrake 9.0 (dolphin)

    apm reports no system battery which is not the case

    the fan stays on all the time
    has this been addressed?

    the fan goes quiet in windows

    please help me someone becuase its the main thing which is really
    f*cking doing my head in right now

  3. Re: apm and fan problems

    Dave Kristol wrote:
    > Nathaniel Janewit wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I run RedHat 9 on a Dell laptop, an Inspiron 8200. I use apm to suspend
    >> my laptop, after which I close it. Upon opening it again, it will
    >> restart perfectly fine where I left off, but the fan goes absolutely
    >> crazy and blows like mad even though it's not hot at all. Furthermore,
    >> the fan doesn't ever seem to ease up until I reboot.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to fix this?

    > Known problem. Type Esc+z, and the BIOS will sample the temperature
    > again and realize it's cool enough not to require the fan.
    >
    > Dave Kristol
    > P.S. You may find
    > useful to you.

    Belated correction. That's Fn+z. Sorry.