Nathaniel Janewit wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run RedHat 9 on a Dell laptop, an Inspiron 8200. I use apm to suspend
> my laptop, after which I close it. Upon opening it again, it will
> restart perfectly fine where I left off, but the fan goes absolutely
> crazy and blows like mad even though it's not hot at all. Furthermore,
> the fan doesn't ever seem to ease up until I reboot.
>
> Is there a way to fix this?

Its a known problem with the Inspirons. You can use the I8k kernel
modules and tools to change the speed, turn on/off the fans, but it
doesn;t always stay off. (its a BIOS/APM problem, it restores thinking
the CPU temp is 85C). You can also try upgrading to BIOS version A06,
don;t know yet if it works any better.

Adrian