other than slackware - Portable

This is a discussion on other than slackware - Portable ; is there a portable linux other than slackware where i can download directly to floppy and install on a laptop that way rather than thru a CD ROM ? -- *** REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT *** Woodzy (sysop at rtdos ...

  1. other than slackware

    --
    *** REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT ***

    Woodzy (sysop at rtdos dot com)
    http://www.rtdos.com

  2. Re: other than slackware

    close but i'm looking for one that is nearly full linux that i can
    install FROM a floppy rather than FROM a CD.

    marcuirl wrote in message news:...
    > "rtdos" writes:
    >
    > > is there a portable linux other than slackware where i can download
    > > directly to floppy and install on a laptop that way rather than thru
    > > a CD ROM ?

    > Is this what you are after
    >
    > http://www.toms.net/rb
    >
    > From the FAQ
    >
    > 1) tomsrtbt is
    >
    > "The most GNU/Linux on one floppy disk"
    >
    > for:
    >
    > rescue recovery panic & emergencies
    >
    > tools to keep in your shirt pockets
    >
    > whenever you can't use a hard drive
    >
    > Tomsrtbt stands for:
    >
    > "Tom's floppy which has a root filesystem and is also bootable."
    > ___ _ _ _ _ _
    >

    > 2) Design goals
    >
    > as much stuff as possible on 1 floppy disk
    >
    > keep it self contained, build under itself
    >
    > try to make it behave like a normal system
    >
    > rescue and recovery functions get priority

  3. Re: other than slackware

    rtdos wrote:

    > is there a portable linux other than slackware where i can download
    > directly to floppy and install on a laptop that way rather than thru a CD
    > ROM ?

    Try Tiny Linux. 10 or 12 floppies, based on slackware 4.0 i think, 2.2*
    kernel?, but do not ask any question about it in Slackware newsgroup or
    they would give you hell, bunch of elitists my **** don't stink there.

    http://tiny.seul.org/en/

    I have downloaded it but not tried it myself yet either.

  4. Re: other than slackware

  5. Re: other than slackware

    In article ,
    Kelly Price wrote:

    >Forget Slackware 7+. It left behind floppies for CD ROM or network install.
    >
    >But if you have a PCMCIA network card (not WiFI, unfortunately), you can get
    >Slack, Debian, and maybe RedHat on a laptop. Gentoo needs a CDROM.

    Gentoo can be installed without a CDROM as well, by bootstrapping from
    one of the single-floppy distributions, e.g. tomsrtbt (which has limited
    PCMCIA support... some network cards do need extra driver disks, though).

    Just boot from the floppy, fdisk & mkfs some HD partitions, bring up the
    network interface, and FTP over whichever stage{1,2,3} tarball you'd like
    to start from. tomsrtbt may not have a traditional FTP client included,
    but wget, at least is available, and accepts ftp://.../ URLs.

    Untar the "stage" archive, chroot into it and start the build process as
    usual... come back in a few hours

    --
    Jordan.

  6. Re: other than slackware

    Debian has a floppy base distro (20 floppies)...but I just loaded onto my
    Gateway Colorbook 2 using the Pcmcia Lan card via network/internet (http://)
    and it was a breeze.

    The base was about 150M. I tried to shoehorn in X and Mozilla but its too
    big and slow...for this little guy.

    "rtdos" wrote in message
    > is there a portable linux other than slackware where i can download

    directly
    > to floppy and install on a laptop that way rather than thru a CD ROM ?
    >
    > --
    > *** REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT ***
    >
    > Woodzy (sysop at rtdos dot com)
    > http://www.rtdos.com