Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot? - Portable

This is a discussion on Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot? - Portable ; Does anyone have the Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 laptop? I noticed during the boot process that after about 10-15 seconds while the WinXP logo is displayed, that the display brightness goes down to about half, even though I've set all levels ...

  1. Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot?

    Does anyone have the Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 laptop?

    I noticed during the boot process that after about 10-15 seconds while
    the WinXP logo is displayed, that the display brightness goes down to
    about half, even though I've set all levels to max in Toshiba's Power
    Management Console, whether plugged in to AC power or via battery
    power.

    Then once it gets to the Windows Desktop it suddenly jumps back up to
    full brightness again.

    This would not normally be an issue, but I'm trying to boot a self
    booting Kroppix CD, a self contained Linux-like distribution. The same
    problem occurs there during it's boot, it goes to half brightness,
    only there's no power management-like console for that, at least I
    don't know of any for this laptop in Linux, and the display remains at
    half brightness right to the Kroppix Workbench or Desktop or whatever
    it's called, making for a rather dull environment.

    I thought that this may be a BIOS adjustment, but there isn't any way
    to get to the BIOS during a boot. I'm told that's been done away with
    on these later laptops and the only way to adjust the BIOS is through
    the Toshiba Console on the Windows Desktop now.

    Does anyone else notice this problem of booting at half brightness
    with this laptop?

    Marcel

  2. Re: Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot?

    marceld12345@yahoo.com (Marcel) wrote in message news:<6a12404e.0308141700.685becc0@posting.google.com>...
    > Does anyone have the Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 laptop?

    No, but I have a 5200-801 that does this also. You can override it by
    pressing "Fn" and "F7" at the same time. A little light meter will pop
    up like a 'dial'. "Fn" and "F7" max's the brightness by each
    depression of these keys. "Fn" and "F6" will decrease the brightness.

    I only descovered this as while using the battery the screen was so
    dim. It is handy though while using in the dark - as obviously you
    don't need a bright display in the darkness.

    Hope that helps somewhat,

    BB

  3. Re: Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot?

    Hold the escape key down while you power up the laptop. You should be
    able to get into the bios.

    marceld12345@yahoo.com (Marcel) wrote in message news:<6a12404e.0308141700.685becc0@posting.google.com>...
    > Does anyone have the Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 laptop?
    >
    > I noticed during the boot process that after about 10-15 seconds while
    > the WinXP logo is displayed, that the display brightness goes down to
    > about half, even though I've set all levels to max in Toshiba's Power
    > Management Console, whether plugged in to AC power or via battery
    > power.
    >
    > Then once it gets to the Windows Desktop it suddenly jumps back up to
    > full brightness again.
    >
    > This would not normally be an issue, but I'm trying to boot a self
    > booting Kroppix CD, a self contained Linux-like distribution. The same
    > problem occurs there during it's boot, it goes to half brightness,
    > only there's no power management-like console for that, at least I
    > don't know of any for this laptop in Linux, and the display remains at
    > half brightness right to the Kroppix Workbench or Desktop or whatever
    > it's called, making for a rather dull environment.
    >
    > I thought that this may be a BIOS adjustment, but there isn't any way
    > to get to the BIOS during a boot. I'm told that's been done away with
    > on these later laptops and the only way to adjust the BIOS is through
    > the Toshiba Console on the Windows Desktop now.
    >
    > Does anyone else notice this problem of booting at half brightness
    > with this laptop?
    >
    > Marcel

  4. Re: Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot?

    bingoboy@ny.com (Bingo Boy) wrote in message news:<11214541.0308150923.67bd13f6@posting.google.com>...
    > marceld12345@yahoo.com (Marcel) wrote in message news:<6a12404e.0308141700.685becc0@posting.google.com>...
    > > Does anyone have the Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 laptop?

    > No, but I have a 5200-801 that does this also. You can override it by
    > pressing "Fn" and "F7" at the same time. A little light meter will pop
    > up like a 'dial'. "Fn" and "F7" max's the brightness by each
    > depression of these keys. "Fn" and "F6" will decrease the brightness.
    >
    > I only descovered this as while using the battery the screen was so
    > dim. It is handy though while using in the dark - as obviously you
    > don't need a bright display in the darkness.

    Thanks. Unfortunately the software that controls the Fn keys is part
    of the Toshiba "Windows" software and so is not loaded until the
    desktop is loaded, so is not available during bootup.

    Thanks, Marcel

  5. Re: Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot?

    mswlogo@hotmail.com (George) wrote in message news:<4c410e93.0308151638.5596b655@posting.google.com>...
    > Hold the escape key down while you power up the laptop. You should be
    > able to get into the bios.

    Thanks, but that's been tried. When I do this I do get a message "Load
    Default Settings (Y/N)", but it doesn't matter if I press "N" or "Y",
    it then proceeds to continue to load Windows either way.

    A call to the Toshiba tech department and they asked for my serial
    number and after looking it up then stated that somehow I received a
    corporate laptop that has access to the BIOS "disabled!"

    I don't know why I received this type of computer as I'm a private
    consumer. They said they would get back to me in 24 hours with an
    answer. That was two weeks ago.

    BTW, the tech person I spoke with (the second one in a row) said they
    were located in Istanbul! Besides the language, (me in Boston) we kept
    stumbling over each others words because of the phone was via
    satellite transmission and delayed 1 second.

    Marcel

  6. Re: Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot?

    > Thanks. Unfortunately the software that controls the Fn keys is part
    > of the Toshiba "Windows" software and so is not loaded until the
    > desktop is loaded, so is not available during bootup.
    >
    > Thanks, Marcel

    Sorry I couldn't help. Just curious - how is audio when playing DVD's?
    It's just that alot of Toshiba owners see an 'out of sync' problem
    when playing DVD's.

    Cheers,

    BB

  7. Re: Toshiba Satellite 5205-703 brightness temporary dims during boot?

    bingoboy@ny.com (Bingo Boy) wrote in message news:<11214541.0308200127.40228e62@posting.google.com>...
    > > Thanks. Unfortunately the software that controls the Fn keys is part
    > > of the Toshiba "Windows" software and so is not loaded until the
    > > desktop is loaded, so is not available during bootup.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Marcel

    > Sorry I couldn't help. Just curious - how is audio when playing DVD's?
    > It's just that alot of Toshiba owners see an 'out of sync' problem
    > when playing DVD's.

    So far I've only played two, one was a recent Disney cartoon movie
    about that space alien character and it seemed to play fine, and the
    other a home made wedding video done on a Mac that seemed okay too.

    Maybe the ones who get out of sync are slower processors? Mine's a
    2Ghz.

    Marcel

+ Reply to Thread