X sleeps when docked - Portable

This is a discussion on X sleeps when docked - Portable ; Hi folks, Recently moved from RH to debian (sarge), and got a new Dell Inspiron 4150. Installation was not too bad, but XFree86 is giving me one small problem: If I try to boot with the laptop docked into its ...

  1. X sleeps when docked

    Hi folks,

    Recently moved from RH to debian (sarge), and got a new Dell Inspiron
    4150. Installation was not too bad, but XFree86 is giving me one small
    problem: If I try to boot with the laptop docked into its Adv. Port
    Replicator, the monitor (Sampo AlphaScan 712) appears to go to "sleep".
    Strangely, the virt. consoles are fine, and switching back to them
    wakes the monitor, but switching back to console 7 for X puts it to
    sleep again!

    Also, I have tried using the same monitor as an external monitor with
    the laptop un-docked, and it works fine. (This makes me suspect it may
    have to do with the lid being closed, but then why do virt. consoles work?)

    If anyone has a similar setup, or has suggestions, I would appreciate
    it. Please respond via email as well as post.

    Thanks,

    Clark

  2. Re: X sleeps when docked

    The Dell Inspiron 4150 has something funky with the BIOS suspend
    function (when the lid is closed) that does not work with Linux. I think
    you''l find, if you just close the lid when undocked or are away from
    the system a long time, the system will not come back from suspend at
    all. I had the problem all the time with mine.

    Turning disabling the "Display turn-off" and "Suspend turn-off"
    functions on the 6th page of the BIOS settings. Helps a bit. BIOS
    version A06 is suppose to be better, haven't tried it yet myself.

    Adrian

  3. Re: X sleeps when docked