Newbie help with ACPI - Portable

This is a discussion on Newbie help with ACPI - Portable ; Installed Mandrake 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk on a Compaq Presario 700Z laptop to dualboot with XP Home using LILO. I am trying to activate the ACPI function (my laptop overheated and I had to have the mobo replaced once already). ...

  1. Newbie help with ACPI

    Installed Mandrake 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk on a Compaq Presario 700Z
    laptop to dualboot with XP Home using LILO.

    I am trying to activate the ACPI function (my laptop overheated and I had to
    have the mobo replaced once already).

    If I go through the install procedure and configure LILO to have ACPI on, my
    laptop won't boot into Linux. It goes through LILO, says something about
    BIOS data check successful and then stays at a black screen.

    If I go into Konsole and su to root, I change lilo.conf to ACPI=on and when
    I boot Linux (and it goes through the interactive menu) it says that ACPI
    failed to load (or just ACPI and it is blank as to whether it fails or not.
    Also, it says failed for starting acpi (something about not finding a file).

    Given that information, my questions are:

    How do I solve this problem?

    I think I need to patch the ACPI update and/or patch the kernel with the
    update. I have downloaded the files, but where does Mandrake store the
    kernel?

    Also, if I try and reboot from Linux, my system freezes on the Compaq screen
    after rebooting. In order to shut down Linux (without any errors on
    startup) I have to halt the system and then hold the power button to hard
    reset. Why is this?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Newbie help with ACPI

    begin On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:56:28 +0000, honda1981virago wrote:

    > Installed Mandrake 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk on a Compaq Presario
    > 700Z laptop to dualboot with XP Home using LILO.
    >
    > I am trying to activate the ACPI function (my laptop overheated and I
    > had to have the mobo replaced once already).

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Download the kernel source from; http://www.kernel.org/

    Follow the directions here;

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/index.html

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ACPI-HOWTO/index.html

    --
    end
    There's no attachment here, your reader is broken by Microsoft's choice!!

  3. Re: Newbie help with ACPI

    Attachment?

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.08.13.02.22.43.779231@127.0.0.1...
    > There's no attachment here, your reader is broken by Microsoft's choice!!
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q265230

  4. Re: Newbie help with ACPI

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > "honda1981virago" writes:
    >
    > ]Installed Mandrake 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk on a Compaq Presario 700Z
    > ]laptop to dualboot with XP Home using LILO.
    >
    > ]I am trying to activate the ACPI function (my laptop overheated and I had to
    > ]have the mobo replaced once already).
    >
    > ]If I go through the install procedure and configure LILO to have ACPI on, my
    > ]laptop won't boot into Linux. It goes through LILO, says something about
    > ]BIOS data check successful and then stays at a black screen.
    >
    > ]If I go into Konsole and su to root, I change lilo.conf to ACPI=on and when
    > ]I boot Linux (and it goes through the interactive menu) it says that ACPI
    > ]failed to load (or just ACPI and it is blank as to whether it fails or not.
    > ]Also, it says failed for starting acpi (something about not finding a file).
    >
    > ]Given that information, my questions are:
    >
    > ]How do I solve this problem?
    >
    > Firstly you need to find out what the error messages are.
    > dmesg|less
    > after a boot will scroll all of the kernel messages during boot.
    > Look for the references to acpi and see what the messages really say.
    > Only then can you figure out what to do.
    >
    > It is also possible that your laptop does not do acpi. It may be an
    > older bios and only do apm.
    >

    > ]I think I need to patch the ACPI update and/or patch the kernel with the
    > ]update. I have downloaded the files, but where does Mandrake store the
    > ]kernel?
    >
    > ]Also, if I try and reboot from Linux, my system freezes on the Compaq screen
    > ]after rebooting. In order to shut down Linux (without any errors on
    > ]startup) I have to halt the system and then hold the power button to hard
    > ]reset. Why is this?
    >

    > No idea what the COMPAQ screen is. And how do you startup linux if it
    > freezes?
    > You probably do not have apm or acpi running and thus the poweroff on
    > shutdown is not enabled.
    >

    > ]Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    You need to disable legacy usb support in the compaq bios. It should
    work after that with acpi=on apm=off in lilo.

    It worked on my Compaq 2100Z

  5. Re: Newbie help with ACPI

    honda1981virago wrote:

    > I checked Drakxservices.
    >
    > APM is running. APCI and APCID are not. They won't run because it says
    > that it can't find "/proc/acpi/event": No such file or directory

    I had the same problem. Go to the services and shut off apm and change
    its startup to manual and start acpi at boot. If apm is running, acpi
    wont start and there will be nothing in the acpi directory.

    > If I do an ls -a in the proc directory - there is no acpi directory (so I
    > guess that's why it isn't working! -- But I did a normal Mandrake install,
    > doesn't it have acpi.

    It does have acpi but something is goofy about it and it tries to use
    both apm and acpi causing all that trouble. I think linux isnt ready to
    go on laptops yet. I had major problems with PCMCIA only to find that
    the solution was to interchange the order in which network and pcmcia
    start (which was almost impossible to find online)

    > Also, when I edit lilo.conf to have apm=off, when I check in Drakxservices,
    > apmd is running.

    Yeah you've got to stop it from autostarting.

    > The second part of my post (dealing with the having to halt part, when I
    > choose to restart my computer restarts, but hangs on the Compaq BIOS
    > screen - it won't go back to LILO.
    >
    > As for disabling legacy USB, when I F10 to the BIOS, there are only the
    > main, boot and exit screens. No advanced options (such as USB).

    I dont have my laptop with me now, but I definitely found that
    somewhere, its hidden in subsections. I'll check where it was sometime
    this weekend and let you know.

    > "SD" wrote in message
    >
    >>Bill Unruh wrote:
    >>
    >>>"honda1981virago" writes:
    >>>
    >>>]Installed Mandrake 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk on a Compaq Presario

    > 700Z
    >
    >>>]laptop to dualboot with XP Home using LILO.
    >>>
    >>>]I am trying to activate the ACPI function (my laptop overheated and I

    > had to
    >
    >>>]have the mobo replaced once already).
    >>>
    >>>]If I go through the install procedure and configure LILO to have ACPI

    > on, my
    >
    >>>]laptop won't boot into Linux. It goes through LILO, says something

    > about
    >
    >>>]BIOS data check successful and then stays at a black screen.
    >>>
    >>>]If I go into Konsole and su to root, I change lilo.conf to ACPI=on and

    > when
    >
    >>>]I boot Linux (and it goes through the interactive menu) it says that

    > ACPI
    >
    >>>]failed to load (or just ACPI and it is blank as to whether it fails or

    > not.
    >
    >>>]Also, it says failed for starting acpi (something about not finding a

    > file).
    >
    >>>]Given that information, my questions are:
    >>>
    >>>]How do I solve this problem?
    >>>
    >>>Firstly you need to find out what the error messages are.
    >>>dmesg|less
    >>> after a boot will scroll all of the kernel messages during boot.
    >>>Look for the references to acpi and see what the messages really say.
    >>>Only then can you figure out what to do.
    >>>
    >>>It is also possible that your laptop does not do acpi. It may be an
    >>>older bios and only do apm.
    >>>

    >>>]I think I need to patch the ACPI update and/or patch the kernel with

    > the
    >
    >>>]update. I have downloaded the files, but where does Mandrake store the
    >>>]kernel?
    >>>
    >>>]Also, if I try and reboot from Linux, my system freezes on the Compaq

    > screen
    >
    >>>]after rebooting. In order to shut down Linux (without any errors on
    >>>]startup) I have to halt the system and then hold the power button to

    > hard
    >
    >>>]reset. Why is this?
    >>>

    >>>No idea what the COMPAQ screen is. And how do you startup linux if it
    >>>freezes?
    >>>You probably do not have apm or acpi running and thus the poweroff on
    >>>shutdown is not enabled.
    >>>

    >>>]Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>

    >>You need to disable legacy usb support in the compaq bios. It should
    >>work after that with acpi=on apm=off in lilo.
    >>
    >>It worked on my Compaq 2100Z

  6. Re: Newbie help with ACPI

    If I disable apmd at boot (in Drakx) and keep acpi and acpid enabled, I get
    the same error message upon reboot.

    What is apcid (versus apci)?

    Did you have to update your kernel and/or the acpi patch?

    "SD" wrote in message
    > honda1981virago wrote:
    >
    > > I checked Drakxservices.
    > >
    > > APM is running. APCI and APCID are not. They won't run because it says
    > > that it can't find "/proc/acpi/event": No such file or directory

    > I had the same problem. Go to the services and shut off apm and change
    > its startup to manual and start acpi at boot. If apm is running, acpi
    > wont start and there will be nothing in the acpi directory.
    >
    > > If I do an ls -a in the proc directory - there is no acpi directory (so

    > > guess that's why it isn't working! -- But I did a normal Mandrake

    install,
    > > doesn't it have acpi.

    > It does have acpi but something is goofy about it and it tries to use
    > both apm and acpi causing all that trouble. I think linux isnt ready to
    > go on laptops yet. I had major problems with PCMCIA only to find that
    > the solution was to interchange the order in which network and pcmcia
    > start (which was almost impossible to find online)
    >
    > > Also, when I edit lilo.conf to have apm=off, when I check in

    Drakxservices,
    > > apmd is running.

    > Yeah you've got to stop it from autostarting.
    >
    > > The second part of my post (dealing with the having to halt part, when I
    > > choose to restart my computer restarts, but hangs on the Compaq BIOS
    > > screen - it won't go back to LILO.
    > >
    > > As for disabling legacy USB, when I F10 to the BIOS, there are only the
    > > main, boot and exit screens. No advanced options (such as USB).
    > >

    > I dont have my laptop with me now, but I definitely found that
    > somewhere, its hidden in subsections. I'll check where it was sometime
    > this weekend and let you know.
    >

    > > "SD" wrote in message

    > > 700Z

    > > had to

    > > on, my

    > > about

    > > when

    > > ACPI

    > > not.

    > > file).

    > > the

    the

    > > screen

    > > hard

    > >>You need to disable legacy usb support in the compaq bios. It should
    > >>work after that with acpi=on apm=off in lilo.
    > >>
    > >>It worked on my Compaq 2100Z

  7. Re: Newbie help with ACPI

    honda1981virago wrote:

    > If I disable apmd at boot (in Drakx) and keep acpi and acpid enabled, I get
    > the same error message upon reboot.
    >
    > What is apcid (versus apci)?
    >
    > Did you have to update your kernel and/or the acpi patch?

    No I didnt update the kernel or patch but I would check in package
    manager = rpmdrake, do a search for acpi and install anything with acpi
    that has not been installed.

+ Reply to Thread