problem installing debian on dell inspiron 3500 (realtek pcmcia) - Portable

This is a discussion on problem installing debian on dell inspiron 3500 (realtek pcmcia) - Portable ; Hi I'm trying to install debian on my dell inspiron laptop. The laptop is without cdrom so I have to do a network install. I have a problem getting by pcmcia network card to work so I can continue the ...

  1. problem installing debian on dell inspiron 3500 (realtek pcmcia)

    Hi

    I'm trying to install debian on my dell inspiron laptop. The laptop is
    without cdrom so I have to do a network install. I have a problem getting
    by pcmcia network card to work so I can continue the installation. I've
    tried mandrake 9.1 and it worked but I want debian.

    ----Machine spec/description:
    Dell inspiron 3500 w/
    400 mhz celeron
    192 mb ram
    4.3 gb hd
    pcmcia card:
    Digitus network cbl 1100
    chip : REALTEK8139CL
    (supports linux2.4.X)

    ----Detailed problem description.

    I've made 6 floppies with the bf2.4. kernel.
    Booted (both with and without the boot option oapic) and configured the
    pcmcia support (i82365 with no parameters).

    The kernel-config states that :

    CONFIG_8139TOO=y
    CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y

    And doesen't the realtek8139cl chip require the 8139too module ? And that
    should be in the kernel right ? So why doesen't the network work ? ... I
    see the tiny lamps on the networks flashing but the install says that
    there is no network.

    What to do ???

    ---Strange things observed
    When I installed mandrake linux everything worked fine, but when I booted
    the mandrake system (every time after the install) I had to "restart" the
    network connection in order for it to work!!

    I tried with the 2.2.x debian (woody) kernel boot images as well. When I
    tried loading the 8139too module I got a segmentation fault , and I could
    not remove it.!

    If reboot from windows and start the debian install (with out turning off
    the computer) I cant configure the pcmcia support .. It states that there
    was a error !

    I cant load the kernel/drivers/char/i8k module . The description of the
    module is "dell laptop support".(don't know what the module is for thou)

    Thanks for any help/info/pointers/links and magic spells that will help
    get debian on my laptop.

    If more info is needed please don't hesitate to ask.. And all ideas are
    appreciated.. I'm desperate

    JokeSten

  2. Re: problem installing debian on dell inspiron 3500 (realtek pcmcia)

    Den Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:30:06 +0200, skrev JokeSten:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm trying to install debian on my dell inspiron laptop. The laptop is
    > without cdrom so I have to do a network install. I have a problem getting
    > by pcmcia network card to work so I can continue the installation. I've
    > tried mandrake 9.1 and it worked but I want debian.
    >
    > ----Machine spec/description:
    > Dell inspiron 3500 w/
    > 400 mhz celeron
    > 192 mb ram
    > 4.3 gb hd
    > pcmcia card:
    > Digitus network cbl 1100
    > chip : REALTEK8139CL
    > (supports linux2.4.X)
    >
    > ----Detailed problem description.
    >
    > I've made 6 floppies with the bf2.4. kernel. Booted (both with and without
    > the boot option oapic) and configured the pcmcia support (i82365 with no
    > parameters).
    >
    > The kernel-config states that :
    >
    > CONFIG_8139TOO=y
    > CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y
    >

    > And doesen't the realtek8139cl chip require the 8139too module ? And that
    > should be in the kernel right ? So why doesen't the network work ? ... I
    > see the tiny lamps on the networks flashing but the install says that
    > there is no network.
    >
    > What to do ???
    >
    > ---Strange things observed
    > When I installed mandrake linux everything worked fine, but when I booted
    > the mandrake system (every time after the install) I had to "restart" the
    > network connection in order for it to work!!
    >
    > I tried with the 2.2.x debian (woody) kernel boot images as well. When I
    > tried loading the 8139too module I got a segmentation fault , and I could
    > not remove it.!
    >
    > If reboot from windows and start the debian install (with out turning off
    > the computer) I cant configure the pcmcia support .. It states that there
    > was a error !
    >
    > I cant load the kernel/drivers/char/i8k module . The description of the
    > module is "dell laptop support".(don't know what the module is for thou)

    UPDATE :
    when I insert the pcmcia card then I get a high pitch beep followed by a
    low pitched one. This means that the that a card was identified, but
    could not be configured for some reason.

    lsmod show that the pcmcia_core is loaded but the file
    /var/run/stab
    shows that socket 0 & 1 are empty. Even when the card is inserted. How do
    I instruct the cardmgr to use the 8139too module for the card ?

    Thanks again for any respond.

    JokeSten

+ Reply to Thread