This is a discussion on [ANN] Open source goes mobile: Opie 1.0 released - Portable ; Finally the wait is over. The Open Palmtop Integrated Envorinment Opie is pleased to announce its first 1.0 release. Having been forked from TrollTechs(tm) Qtopia(tm) environment Opie has emerged into the most sophisticated free and open graphical user interface for ...
Finally the wait is over.
The Open Palmtop Integrated Envorinment Opie is pleased to announce its
first 1.0 release. Having been forked from TrollTechs(tm) Qtopia(tm)
environment Opie has emerged into the most sophisticated free and open
graphical user interface for Linux based embedded devices and PDAs.
Opie features a sophisticated personal information (PIM) framework as
well as several other productivity apps, extended multimedia
capabilities and document model, networking and communication tools as
well as multi language support for more than a dozen languages. Based on
common industry standards like XML, Obex, IrDa et. al. Opies is capable
to interact with lots of devices ranging from cell phones to server
backends. Opie is highly optimzed for mobile devices and tries to
support the user with shortcuts and ease of use.
No matter whether one would like to organize life issues, keep up to
date reading daily news or requires a mobile internet accessing
terminal, Opie provides all capabilities necessary for daily usage.
Key highlights of Opie:
- Binary compatibility with Sharp Zaurus applications
- Sophisticated PIM framework (including an easy to use access API) with
addressbook, todolist, today, mail, drawpad, datebook, texteditor and
- Today application featuring plugins for dates, todos, mail, birthdays,
weather and stock values
- Multimedia capabilities provided by the xine based based opieplayer2
(featuring streaming audio and video) and image viewer
- Palmdoc compatible opie-reader for ebook reading and, in cooperation
with eg. jpluckx (http://jpluck.sourceforge.net) daily news coverage
- Linux shell/terminal providing access to the operating system (for
those who care)
- Network based installation and setup management
- PDF reader based on xpdf
- IRC client, konqueror web browser an mail reader
- Multiple input plugins to ease data input
- Network time support and time correction capabilities
- Full network setup support through plugins (wlan, ethernet, ppp, irda)
- adaptive backlight settings and calibration (for devices light sensors)
- Advanced security supporting Linux security services
- Syncable with KDE PIM/Kolab, MS Outlook and Qtopia Desktop (3rd party
- Voice memos
- Backup and Restore capabilities to CF/SD cards
- Data exchange with Palms, PocketPC, mobile phones and other
bluetooth/IrDa capable devices
- Fully localized
- Themes and styles to adapt look and feel to your personal flavor
Opie is designed to run on all Linux based devices. Images and packgages
are currently available for HP iPAQs, Sharp Zauri and SimPad. The
platform has also proven to be running on Psion5, Ramses, Tuxphone,
Simputer and lots of other embedded Linux devices.
We as the Opie team believe in the strengths of the software as an open
productivity and business platform and will be continue to develop it
any further- new and exciting features are already in the queue. We
would also like to thank our supporters and developers for making this
1.0 version possible.
Any further information, screen shots etc. can be found at
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de