GPRS card. - Portable

This is a discussion on GPRS card. - Portable ; Hi folks... I have a mobile pc and I buy a GPRS PCMCIA card (SonyEriccson GC75). I see that there is a software for internet connection (only Windows). 2 question to ask : 1)- Will Linux see my network card? ...

  1. GPRS card.

    Hi folks...

    I have a mobile pc and I buy a GPRS PCMCIA card (SonyEriccson GC75). I
    see that there is a software for internet connection (only Windows).
    2 question to ask :
    1)- Will Linux see my network card? and if yes, has the right driver
    to manage it? What can I do to 'mount' it?
    2)- I asked to the support group of SonyEriccson if there are the same
    software to manage the connection for Linux...(a girl) replied me -
    "What is Linux? is it a network?"
    "No" - I said - "is an operative system...like wondows.."
    After 5 minutes (I waited) she said "is Linux windows NT?"
    "No, Linux is...Linux"
    She concluded the conversation .. "Sorry, we don't support other
    operative system than windows..."
    So, I'm asking you what can I do...

    Thx..Ivan
    (or Eridano, If you like)

  2. Re: GPRS card.

    Eridano wrote:

    > Hi folks...
    >
    > I have a mobile pc and I buy a GPRS PCMCIA card (SonyEriccson GC75). I
    > see that there is a software for internet connection (only Windows).
    > 2 question to ask :
    > 1)- Will Linux see my network card? and if yes, has the right driver
    > to manage it? What can I do to 'mount' it?

    Several of such cards are known to emulate COM ports. These work.

    > 2)- I asked to the support group of SonyEriccson if there are the same
    > software to manage the connection for Linux...(a girl) replied me -
    > "What is Linux? is it a network?"
    > "No" - I said - "is an operative system...like wondows.."
    > After 5 minutes (I waited) she said "is Linux windows NT?"
    > "No, Linux is...Linux"
    > She concluded the conversation .. "Sorry, we don't support other
    > operative system than windows..."
    > So, I'm asking you what can I do...

    If the card emulates a COM port, the standard Linux pppd can be made
    to work. It might need some of the more exotic ppp options though.

    HTH
    Oliver

  3. Re: GPRS card.

    Oliver Neukum wrote in message news:...
    > Eridano wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks...
    > >
    > > I have a mobile pc and I buy a GPRS PCMCIA card (SonyEriccson GC75). I
    > > see that there is a software for internet connection (only Windows).
    > > 2 question to ask :
    > > 1)- Will Linux see my network card? and if yes, has the right driver
    > > to manage it? What can I do to 'mount' it?

    > Several of such cards are known to emulate COM ports. These work.
    >
    > > 2)- I asked to the support group of SonyEriccson if there are the same
    > > software to manage the connection for Linux...(a girl) replied me -
    > > "What is Linux? is it a network?"
    > > "No" - I said - "is an operative system...like wondows.."
    > > After 5 minutes (I waited) she said "is Linux windows NT?"
    > > "No, Linux is...Linux"
    > > She concluded the conversation .. "Sorry, we don't support other
    > > operative system than windows..."
    > > So, I'm asking you what can I do...

    > If the card emulates a COM port, the standard Linux pppd can be made
    > to work. It might need some of the more exotic ppp options though.
    >
    > HTH
    > Oliver

    Hi, and thx..
    but...I'm newby...so wich command I have to type?
    mount....xxx/xxx? and after what can I do?

  4. Re: GPRS card.

    > Hi, and thx..
    > but...I'm newby...so wich command I have to type?
    > mount....xxx/xxx? and after what can I do?

    No mounting. You set up a dial-up internet connection.
    Your distribution's administration tool should allow
    that. You might have to edit files under /etc/ppp if
    you experience timeouts.

    HTH
    Oliver

  5. Re: GPRS card.

    Oliver Neukum wrote in message news:...
    > > Hi, and thx..
    > > but...I'm newby...so wich command I have to type?
    > > mount....xxx/xxx? and after what can I do?

    > No mounting. You set up a dial-up internet connection.
    > Your distribution's administration tool should allow
    > that. You might have to edit files under /etc/ppp if
    > you experience timeouts.
    >
    > HTH
    > Oliver

    The real problem is : the Sonyericsson card has a recargeable contract
    type .. so the device is in 'sleep' mode until the pin code is
    inserted. I read some other thread in google but they discuss about an
    external 'ready' mobile phone GPRS...
    So, I have no idea what I have to do due to see to my mobile pc the
    card..

+ Reply to Thread