Re: Thinkpad "Fn" buttons - what do they all do ? - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: Thinkpad "Fn" buttons - what do they all do ? - Portable ; On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:52:15 +0100, Tim Day staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I have just acquired my first laptop: a Thinkpad (reconditioned T22). > I am a bit unsure what some of the "Fn" keys ...

  1. Re: Thinkpad "Fn" buttons - what do they all do ?

    and said:
    > I have just acquired my first laptop: a Thinkpad (reconditioned T22).
    > I am a bit unsure what some of the "Fn" keys do though
    >
    > F3 (screen & big "X")
    > - seemed to lock the machine, had to power cycle. Hibernate ?

    On a 600X and an A22p, this blanks the screen. This is done via the
    machine's BIOS/hardware, and the screen should unblank when you press a
    key or move the Trackpoint.

    > F12 (screen & arrow pointing to disk)
    > - screen capture or suspend to disk ?

    Suspend-to-disk. You need to have a FAT32 or NTFS partition on
    /dev/hda1 , and you need to set up a "hibernation file" using PHDISK.EXE
    or lphdisk for it to work right--otherwise, the machine will just beep
    at you.

    > F7 (two kinds of screen ?)
    > - Makes the screen go blank until I hit it again.
    > Guess output is switched to the rear VGA connector ?

    Yes. If your machine has a Rage128 video chip, it might be necessary to
    put the line

    Option "Display" "BIOS"

    in the "Device" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config for it to work properly.

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  2. Re: Thinkpad "Fn" buttons - what do they all do ?

    Dances With Crows writes:

    >> F3 (screen & big "X")
    >> - seemed to lock the machine, had to power cycle. Hibernate ?

    > On a 600X and an A22p, this blanks the screen. This is done via the
    > machine's BIOS/hardware, and the screen should unblank when you press a
    > key or move the Trackpoint.

    More to the point, it turns off power to your screen's
    backlighting panel. The backlighting panel is the single most
    energy-intensive and lifespan-limited component on the 600 series, with
    an MTBF in the low thousand hours range. Turning it off when your
    machine is "on" but not in use is a good way of preserving its lifespan.

    Elf

  3. Re: Thinkpad "Fn" buttons - what do they all do ?

    Elf M. Sternberg wrote:
    : Dances With Crows writes:

    :>> F3 (screen & big "X")
    :>> - seemed to lock the machine, had to power cycle. Hibernate ?

    :> On a 600X and an A22p, this blanks the screen. This is done via the
    :> machine's BIOS/hardware, and the screen should unblank when you press a
    :> key or move the Trackpoint.

    : More to the point, it turns off power to your screen's
    : backlighting panel. The backlighting panel is the single most
    : energy-intensive and lifespan-limited component on the 600 series, with
    : an MTBF in the low thousand hours range. Turning it off when your
    : machine is "on" but not in use is a good way of preserving its lifespan.

    However switching also limits lifetime. Find a good compromise.

    Bye
    --
    Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

    Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt

  4. Re: Thinkpad "Fn" buttons - what do they all do ?

    In article ,
    Uwe Bonnes wrote:
    >Elf M. Sternberg wrote:
    >: Dances With Crows writes:
    >
    >:>> F3 (screen & big "X")
    >:>> - seemed to lock the machine, had to power cycle. Hibernate ?
    >
    >:> On a 600X and an A22p, this blanks the screen. This is done via the
    >:> machine's BIOS/hardware, and the screen should unblank when you press a
    >:> key or move the Trackpoint.
    >
    >: More to the point, it turns off power to your screen's
    >: backlighting panel. The backlighting panel is the single most
    >: energy-intensive and lifespan-limited component on the 600 series, with
    >: an MTBF in the low thousand hours range. Turning it off when your
    >: machine is "on" but not in use is a good way of preserving its lifespan.
    >
    >However switching also limits lifetime. Find a good compromise.

    With traditional fluorescent tubes, one rule of thumb seems to be "turn
    it off if you'll be away for at least 15 minutes", but I'm not sure how
    applicable this would be to cold-cathode lamps with no filaments.

    Is the Thinkpad 600 significantly worse than average for backlight
    life expectancy?

    I wonder what effect reducing the display brightness has on tube life.
    My 570e (mechanical brightness slider) gets turned down to its minimum
    setting when idle for short periods, to help save some energy without
    using up a full on/off cycle each time. The inverter's whine sound
    changes pitch slightly with display brightness, suggesting a PWM duty-
    cycle type of control.

    --
    Jordan.

+ Reply to Thread