Intel Support of Centrino Under Linux Petition - Portable

This is a discussion on Intel Support of Centrino Under Linux Petition - Portable ; Three months after Intel has released their new technology, laptops based on the Centrino(TM) features are already very popular in the Linux community. For almost all Centrino based laptops from different manufacturers there are installation reports[1] available. But the "Intel ...

  1. Intel Support of Centrino Under Linux Petition

    Three months after Intel has released their new technology, laptops based
    on the Centrino(TM) features are already very popular in the Linux
    community. For almost all Centrino based laptops from different
    manufacturers there are installation reports[1] available.

    But the "Intel Support of Centrino Under Linux Petition"[2] states
    "currently support is quite lacking and only half of the technology has
    any form of drivers. Intel has flipped on the issue of Linux. When
    Centrino was introduced they reported that Linux would indeed be
    supported. Now, after conversing with them, they have said that they
    have no plans at all to support Linux with respect to Centrino any more
    than they have." [3][4][5]

    Please support the petition.

    Werner

    [1] http://tuxmobil.org/centrino.html
    [2] http://www.petitiononline.com/xanthan/petition.html
    [3] http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/29840.html
    [4] http://news.com.com/2100-1006-993896.html
    [5] http://www.intel.com/support/notebook/centrino/os.htm

  2. Re: Intel Support of Centrino Under Linux Petition

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:43:27 GMT
    Jason Wm. Mitchell wrote:

    > In article , Werner
    > Heuser wrote:
    > > Intel has flipped on the issue of Linux. When Centrino was
    > > introduced they reported that Linux would indeed be supported. Now,
    > > after conversing with them, they have said that they have no plans
    > > at all to support Linux with respect to Centrino any more than they
    > > have."[3][4][5]

    > When you say "conversing with them" are you talking about the
    > adaptersuppor@mailbox.cps.intel.com address? After a few experiments
    > of asking specific questions, I do not believe that a human reads
    > e-mail sent to that address. Every response is precisely the same
    > down to the text formatting, and only questions that contain a
    > statistically significant number of Intel terms are answered---all
    > other text is ignored. Give it a try and see what happens. You can
    > goole to verify the exactness of the responses.
    >
    > The thing that disturbs me is that this e-mail address was supposed to
    > be the mechanism to help Intel gauge users desire for Linux support.
    > Well, if no human reads it, and there is no way to get info to
    > Scott McLaughlin, how can Intel determine the desired Linux support
    > level?

    LOL! That's funny, if it weren't true. Oh well, it's iBook all the way.

    Luigi

+ Reply to Thread