Sony PCG-C1MRX Picturebook - Portable

This is a discussion on Sony PCG-C1MRX Picturebook - Portable ; I have been a computer programmer for over 30 years, but I am a newbie on Linux. I have just bought a slightly used Sony Vaio Picturebook PCG-C1MRX. I would like to install Linux on this system (dual boot with ...

  1. Sony PCG-C1MRX Picturebook

    I have been a computer programmer for over 30 years, but I am a newbie on
    Linux. I have just bought a slightly used Sony Vaio Picturebook
    PCG-C1MRX. I would like to install Linux on this system (dual boot with
    WinXP). I acquired Mandrake 9.1 disks because my research suggests
    Mandrake is the easiest release for a newbie to install on a laptop
    computer.

    Does anyone here have experience installing Linux on a PCG-C1Mx computer?
    I know some C1Mx support was added to the Linux kernel a year and a half
    ago. I am willing to bet on all PCG-C1Mx models being equivalent for this
    purpose, so if someone has done it with the C1M, C1MV, C1M/V, C1MSX, C1MZX
    etc, that's good enough. I found some info on Linux on PCG-C1Xx and
    PCG-C1Vx models, but the C1Mx differs from the earlier models in some
    important respects: The earlier ones had 1024x480 screens while the C1Mx
    has a 1280x600 screen. The older C1s had USB 1.1 while this one has USB
    2.0. This computer has Bluetooth.

    As I said I am a programmer, but my experience is mostly Cobol/mainframe
    stuff. I've done Algol when I maintained and enhanced Cobol compilers for
    Burroughs, and I have done a _very_ small amount of C. I am willing to
    make program tweaks and recompile, but I have to have an install that gets
    me most of the way home. If it comes up with 800x600 display then I need
    to futz with software to get the full display, that's fine. If I need to
    do software work before the C1MRX comes up at all, I am probably in too
    deep. If Linux supports either my WiFi card or Bluetooth, that's okay.
    If it supports neither, that's a problem.

    The computer has WinXP pro, 384MB RAM, 30GB disk (single partition).
    There are no internal drive except the hard disk. I bought a PCMCIA
    CD-ROM drive, but I am probably getting a USB CD-RW/DVD also. I only need
    Linux to support one of those. I could also get a USB floppy drive if that
    will help in some fundamental way. For heavy typing I will need to
    connect a USB keyboard, but I can do without that at first. I also would
    like Linux to support the built in camera, but I think I will only use the
    camera in short spurts, so I can go to WinXP for that.

    Who has pointers for installing Linux on this machine?
    --
    RB |\ © Randall Bart
    aa |/ admin@RandallBart.spam.com Barticus@att.spam.net

  2. Re: Sony PCG-C1MRX Picturebook

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 03:53:27 -0100, Randall Bart wrote:

    > Who has pointers for installing Linux on this machine?

    http://tuxmobil.org/sony.html

  3. Re: Sony PCG-C1MRX Picturebook

    Randall Bart wrote:

    > I have been a computer programmer for over 30 years, but I am a newbie on
    > Linux. I have just bought a slightly used Sony Vaio Picturebook
    > PCG-C1MRX. I would like to install Linux on this system (dual boot with
    > WinXP).

    The
    mailing list is concerned with Linux on Picturebooks.
    I'd scan the archives (not very voluminous) there.
    Also Steve Barr's page is probably the best place to start looking for info:

    > If Linux supports either my WiFi card or Bluetooth, that's okay.
    > If it supports neither, that's a problem.

    I'm sure it will support both, without problem.
    I use both on a C1VFK. and I doubt if there is any difference
    (at least in this respect) from your machine.
    For Bluetooth you need to look at the Bluez site

    For WiFi, visit

    Incidentally, when I first installed Linux (RedHat) on my Picturebook,
    I found it easier to install in text mode,
    and then get the screen working afterwards.
    (Basically, I copied an XF86Config-4 file I found at Steve Barr's site.)

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie