What distribution/version of Linux for an IBM Thinkpad 570E - Portable

This is a discussion on What distribution/version of Linux for an IBM Thinkpad 570E - Portable ; I have an IBM thinkpad 570E, and would like to install linux on it. What is the best version to install? I see a lot of refrences on the net to redhat 6.2 for this hardware, but a check of ...

  1. What distribution/version of Linux for an IBM Thinkpad 570E

    I have an IBM thinkpad 570E, and would like to install linux on it.
    What is the best version to install? I see a lot of refrences on the
    net to redhat 6.2 for this hardware, but a check of the redhat page
    shows that they seem to be up to V9 with no mention of the 570?

    If it makes a difference, I want to end up with a dual boot machine
    possibly with one OS on a second HDD residing in an IBM Ultrabase
    (docking station).

    Thanks,
    Evan
    www.whereisevan.com

  2. Re: What distribution/version of Linux for an IBM Thinkpad 570E

    ejb123@yahoo.com (Evan Bigall) writes:

    > I have an IBM thinkpad 570E, and would like to install linux on it.
    > What is the best version to install? I see a lot of refrences on the
    > net to redhat 6.2 for this hardware, but a check of the redhat page
    > shows that they seem to be up to V9 with no mention of the 570?

    I've installed Redhat 7.3 and 9.0 on my 600E. You need a 2GB
    partition for the Redhat base. If you've got that, it should work
    fine. Note that you'll still need to install the thinkpad module
    independently, and repeat as necessary whenever you do a kernel upgrade.

    Elf

+ Reply to Thread