Re: ThinkPad trackpoint scroll - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: ThinkPad trackpoint scroll - Portable ; On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:34:14 +0000, Rick James wrote: > I have a ThinkPad T30 with RedHat 9 installed. This laptop uses the IBM > UltraNav trackpoint/touchpad combination. One feature of the trackpoint > is the ability to scroll ...

  1. Re: ThinkPad trackpoint scroll

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:34:14 +0000, Rick James wrote:

    > I have a ThinkPad T30 with RedHat 9 installed. This laptop uses the IBM
    > UltraNav trackpoint/touchpad combination. One feature of the trackpoint
    > is the ability to scroll using the trackpoint and the middle mouse
    > button. Here is the XF86Config file that makes this work:
    >
    > Identifier "Mouse0"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    > Option "Buttons" "3"
    > Option "EmulateWheel" "yes"
    > Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
    > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >

    > The trackpoint scroll feature only works when the touchpad is disabled
    > in the BIOS. With the touchpad working, the trackpoint scroll will not
    > work. Does anyone know why or how to make the trackpoint scroll work
    > WITH the touchpad turned on?

    Totally awesome, thanks so much for sharing this hint, I tried it on my
    Thinkpad T23 and it worked first time
    Mine does not have the touchpad so I did not have to disable that one.

    Could you point me in the direction of info that might explain what the
    last "Option" line does ?

    Thanks again for helping !

    Douglas Cole
    Registered Linux user #188922

  2. Re: ThinkPad trackpoint scroll

    Douglas Cole wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:34:14 +0000, Rick James wrote:
    >
    >> I have a ThinkPad T30 with RedHat 9 installed. This laptop uses the IBM
    >> UltraNav trackpoint/touchpad combination. One feature of the trackpoint
    >> is the ability to scroll using the trackpoint and the middle mouse
    >> button. Here is the XF86Config file that makes this work:
    >>
    >> Identifier "Mouse0"
    >> Driver "mouse"
    >> Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    >> Option "Buttons" "3"
    >> Option "EmulateWheel" "yes"
    >> Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
    >> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >>

    >> The trackpoint scroll feature only works when the touchpad is disabled
    >> in the BIOS. With the touchpad working, the trackpoint scroll will not
    >> work. Does anyone know why or how to make the trackpoint scroll work
    >> WITH the touchpad turned on?

    > Totally awesome, thanks so much for sharing this hint, I tried it on my
    > Thinkpad T23 and it worked first time
    > Mine does not have the touchpad so I did not have to disable that one.
    >
    > Could you point me in the direction of info that might explain what the
    > last "Option" line does ?
    >
    > Thanks again for helping !
    >
    > Douglas Cole
    > Registered Linux user #188922

    Buttons 4 & 5 (scroll up and scroll down)

    Fran

  3. Re: ThinkPad trackpoint scroll

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:04:58 +1200, Fran wrote:

    > Douglas Cole wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:34:14 +0000, Rick James wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a ThinkPad T30 with RedHat 9 installed. This laptop uses the
    >>> IBM UltraNav trackpoint/touchpad combination. One feature of the
    >>> trackpoint is the ability to scroll using the trackpoint and the
    >>> middle mouse button. Here is the XF86Config file that makes this work:
    >>>
    >>> Identifier "Mouse0"
    >>> Driver "mouse"
    >>> Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    >>> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    >>> Option "Buttons" "3"
    >>> Option "EmulateWheel" "yes"
    >>> Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
    >>> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    >>> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >>>

    >>> The trackpoint scroll feature only works when the touchpad is disabled
    >>> in the BIOS. With the touchpad working, the trackpoint scroll will not
    >>> work. Does anyone know why or how to make the trackpoint scroll work
    >>> WITH the touchpad turned on?

    >> Totally awesome, thanks so much for sharing this hint, I tried it on my
    >> Thinkpad T23 and it worked first time Mine does not have the
    >> touchpad so I did not have to disable that one.
    >>
    >> Could you point me in the direction of info that might explain what the
    >> last "Option" line does ?
    >>

    > Buttons 4 & 5 (scroll up and scroll down)
    >
    > Fran

    Thanks Fran, so if one wanted to have the scroll left and right would I
    enter something like ?
    Option "YAxisMapping" "6 7"

    I am a little confused as to how setting "ZAxisMapping" would affect
    up-down scrolling. I would think it should be "XAxisMapping" instead.

    Can you explain why it is that way ?

    tia for any input

    Doug

+ Reply to Thread