Re: suspend and hibernate commands? - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: suspend and hibernate commands? - Portable ; SD wrote: > What are the commands for suspend and hibernate. I use ACPI on MDK 9.1 > and I can;t seem to find the answer to this question. You may be able to run suspend, using the keyboard. On ...

  1. Re: suspend and hibernate commands?

    SD wrote:

    > What are the commands for suspend and hibernate. I use ACPI on MDK 9.1
    > and I can;t seem to find the answer to this question.

    You may be able to run suspend, using the keyboard. On my Thinkpad, holding
    Fn and then pressing F4 suspends my computer. Hybernate doesn't seem to
    work.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  2. Re: suspend and hibernate commands?

    James Knott wrote:
    > SD wrote:

    >> What are the commands for suspend and hibernate. I use ACPI on MDK 9.1
    >> and I can;t seem to find the answer to this question.

    > You may be able to run suspend, using the keyboard. On my Thinkpad, holding
    > Fn and then pressing F4 suspends my computer. Hybernate doesn't seem to
    > work.

    Thinkpads generally need hibernation enabled via a thinkpad utility
    that runs in msdos and makes a hibernation partition or file and
    registers it in the bios. My TP hibernates to disk fine.

    Peter

  3. Re: suspend and hibernate commands?

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > There's no overarching commonly used standard way to invoke
    > suspend-to-RAM ("suspend") and suspend-to-disk ("hibernate"). Yes, the
    > APM and ACPI standards say there are ways, but laptop manufacturers
    > twist and pervert these standards for their own (stupid, cost-cutting)
    > reasons. Sometimes "apm -s" works. Sometimes it doesn't. Whether it
    > does or not depends on the make and model of the laptop, and sometimes
    > on the kernel version.

    That's why I suggested using the Fn key aproach. It shouldn't be affected
    by what OS is used.

    > James: To successfully invoke suspend-to-disk on a Thinkpad, you need
    > to have a "hibernation file" correctly set up on /dev/hda1 . Use the
    > DOS PHDISK.EXE program or the Linux utility "lphdisk" to tell the
    > Thinkpad's BIOS where this hibernation file is. After that, pressing
    > Fn-F12 or doing "tpctl --hibernate" should work fine. If it doesn't,
    > post the model# of your Thinkpad, the error messages you received when
    > tpctl --hibernate failed, and the output of "dmesg | tail -20"
    > immediately after you tried software hibernation. HTH,

    I'll have to give that a try. However, this computer is dual boot Linux and
    (yuck) XP. I suppose it will only support hibernate on one of them.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  4. Re: suspend and hibernate commands?

    Elf M. Sternberg wrote:

    > James, have you installed the thinkpad module and the tpctl
    > program? If so, then you have everything you need.

    Not yet. I'll hav to download and install them.

    > Remember, if you need hardware hibernate, you must have a
    > DOS partition at /dev/hda1 big enough to hold 115% of your RAM, and you
    > must prepare a hibernate block within that partition using the DOS
    > version of tpctl. You do not need this for the hardware suspend.

    This may be a problem, as I've got XP in an NTFS partition on hda1.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

+ Reply to Thread