I have an unbranded laptop (with mainly SiS architecture) and a
synaptics touchpad. It worked fine under Redhat 8.0. Under gentoo X
will hang within between minutes and an hour - taking the mouse and
keyboard with it, so I cannot magic sysrq or close X. Logging in
remotely and using ACPI and the lid switch is the only way I can kill it.

I noticed that someone had this problem in this group last year (from
google) and I was wondering if anybody had found a solution. This
problem happens regardless of kernel (2.4.20->21-ac4) and whether I use
the standard mouse driver or the tuxmobil synaptics driver. However
external mice do not have this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen