Cooling it down - Portable

This is a discussion on Cooling it down - Portable ; Hi everyone, I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158, with an AMD Athlon Mobile @1.8GHz a couple of weeks ago and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 on it (kernel 2.4.20), dual boot with WinXP. However, it seems that the machine keeps heating ...

  1. Cooling it down

    Hi everyone,

    I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158, with an AMD Athlon Mobile @1.8GHz a
    couple of weeks ago and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 on it (kernel 2.4.20),
    dual boot with WinXP. However, it seems that the machine keeps heating up
    on Linux, and not as much on Win.

    Is there a way to keep it cooler on Linux? And no, I'm not running heavy
    progs, just using a text editor and writing some LaTeX docs most of the
    time... Is it possible to selectively switch off some devices like the
    Combo drive (because I'm rarely using it) to keep it cool? From the BIOS I
    found no way to do it...

    Thanks in advance for any tips.

  2. Re: Cooling it down

    I have a laptop quite similar to yours (HP ze4325) and from what I have
    found it is the ACPI implementation or lack of in the 2.4.20 and lesser
    kernels, preventing the CPU from "throttling" like it should. I think 2.4.21
    works though, I gave up for a bit (Waiting for the 2.6 stable kernel). Good
    luck though.
    "Joćo Batista" wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.53.0307251013290.3109@kdata1.fis.f c.ul.pt...
    > Hi everyone,
    >

    > I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158, with an AMD Athlon Mobile @1.8GHz a
    > couple of weeks ago and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 on it (kernel 2.4.20),
    > dual boot with WinXP. However, it seems that the machine keeps heating up
    > on Linux, and not as much on Win.
    >
    > Is there a way to keep it cooler on Linux? And no, I'm not running heavy
    > progs, just using a text editor and writing some LaTeX docs most of the
    > time... Is it possible to selectively switch off some devices like the
    > Combo drive (because I'm rarely using it) to keep it cool? From the BIOS I
    > found no way to do it...
    >

    > Thanks in advance for any tips.

  3. Re: Cooling it down

    take a look .

    http://cip.uni-trier.de/nofftz/linux...ing-HOWTO.html

    Here explains why some athlons heat so much. The mine was a toaster.

    By the way, upgrade your kernel. I“m using now 2.4.22-pre6-ac3. And the
    ACPI seems to work better. Seems that the Powernow has been implemented
    later than the Speedstep of Intel

    Good luck

    "Joćo Batista" > wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.53.0307251013290.3109@kdata1.fis.f c.ul.pt...
    > Hi everyone,
    >

    > I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158, with an AMD Athlon Mobile @1.8GHz a
    > couple of weeks ago and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 on it (kernel 2.4.20),
    > dual boot with WinXP. However, it seems that the machine keeps heating up
    > on Linux, and not as much on Win.
    >
    > Is there a way to keep it cooler on Linux? And no, I'm not running heavy
    > progs, just using a text editor and writing some LaTeX docs most of the
    > time... Is it possible to selectively switch off some devices like the
    > Combo drive (because I'm rarely using it) to keep it cool? From the BIOS I
    > found no way to do it...
    >

    > Thanks in advance for any tips.

+ Reply to Thread