ADS Tech firewire ide box - Portable

This is a discussion on ADS Tech firewire ide box - Portable ; Hi, i recently obtained an external firewire case for ide drives. I have been tryin for some time now to make linux recognize it. No prevail! Has anyone experiences with the stuff and can tell me what to do? Thanks ...

  1. ADS Tech firewire ide box

    Hi,
    i recently obtained an external firewire case for ide drives. I have
    been tryin for some time now to make linux recognize it. No prevail!
    Has anyone experiences with the stuff and can tell me what to do?

    Thanks a lot in advance,

  2. Re: ADS Tech firewire ide box

    On 23 Jul 2003 03:14:07 -0700, Mathias Rodenstein staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > i recently obtained an external firewire case for ide drives. I have
    > been tryin for some time now to make linux recognize it.

    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html --what have you tried,
    what error messages did you receive, and which version of which distro
    are you using?

    > No prevail! Has anyone experiences with the stuff and can tell me
    > what to do?

    "modprobe ohci1394 ; modprobe sbp2" , plug the Firewire disk in, then
    mount it. It'll appear as a SCSI device. Firewire support is still
    considered beta, but I've heard of people getting it to work well. Make
    sure you're using a recent kernel, at least 2.4.18. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: ADS Tech firewire ide box

    Dances With Crows wrote in message news:...
    > On 23 Jul 2003 03:14:07 -0700, Mathias Rodenstein staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    > > i recently obtained an external firewire case for ide drives. I have
    > > been tryin for some time now to make linux recognize it.

    > http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html --what have you tried,
    > what error messages did you receive, and which version of which distro
    > are you using?

    I tried: "modprobe ohci1394; modprobe raw1394; modprobe sbp2" with a
    2.4.21 and a 2.6.0-test1 kernel. No error messages. Running a script
    called "rescan-scsi-bus" (downloaded from a web site with instructions
    on how to install those drives) or executing 'echo "add-single-device
    0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi', as suggested by the same web site, did not
    help at all. "0 new devices detected"
    I am using Gentoo 1.4.

    > > No prevail! Has anyone experiences with the stuff and can tell me
    > > what to do?

    > "modprobe ohci1394 ; modprobe sbp2" , plug the Firewire disk in, then
    > mount it. It'll appear as a SCSI device. Firewire support is still
    > considered beta, but I've heard of people getting it to work well. Make
    > sure you're using a recent kernel, at least 2.4.18. HTH,

    obviously, your suggestion has not worked for me

  4. Re: ADS Tech firewire ide box

    On 24 Jul 2003 00:47:43 -0700, Mathias Rodenstein staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote in message
    >> On 23 Jul 2003 03:14:07 -0700, Mathias Rodenstein staggered into the
    >> Black Sun and said:
    >> > i recently obtained an external firewire case for ide drives. I
    >> > have been tryin for some time now to make linux recognize it.

    >> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html --what have you tried,
    >> what error messages did you receive, and which version of which
    >> distro are you using?

    > I tried: "modprobe ohci1394; modprobe raw1394; modprobe sbp2" with a
    > 2.4.21 and a 2.6.0-test1 kernel. No error messages. Running a script
    > called "rescan-scsi-bus" (downloaded from a web site with instructions
    > on how to install those drives) or executing 'echo "add-single-device
    > 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi', as suggested by the same web site, did not
    > help at all. "0 new devices detected"
    > I am using Gentoo 1.4.

    Nuts... well, what does dmesg have to say about the Firewire bus? After
    running the modprobe commands, do "dmesg | tail -30" and post the
    output.

    > obviously, your suggestion has not worked for me

    I'm going mostly on theory and what other people have reported worked
    for them, since I don't have any Linux machines with Firewire yet.

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  5. Re: ADS Tech firewire ide box

    Try this, it works for me..I have the same ADS external drive with an
    80G IBM HD in it.
    (both 2.4.x and 2.5.x/2.6.x)

    #!/bin/bash
    modprobe ieee1394
    modprobe ohci1394
    modprobe sbp2
    modprobe sd_mod
    modprobe sr_mod
    sleep 2
    rescan-scsi-bus.sh
    sleep 2
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /FireWire

    (Note the iee1394, sd and sr modules)

    Mathias Rodenstein wrote:
    > Hi,
    > i recently obtained an external firewire case for ide drives. I have
    > been tryin for some time now to make linux recognize it. No prevail!
    > Has anyone experiences with the stuff and can tell me what to do?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance,

    Jim Chisholm
    Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
    Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
    Deputy Chief, Bay Road Station 59