Best toshiba laptop for linux? - Portable

This is a discussion on Best toshiba laptop for linux? - Portable ; Ok, I know best is somewhat of a relative term however I'm looking at a couple laptops from toshiba and was wondering what is probably my best option. I'm looking at the Satellite Pro 6100 w/dvd-rw or a Tecra 9100 ...

  1. Best toshiba laptop for linux?

    Ok, I know best is somewhat of a relative term however I'm looking at a
    couple laptops from toshiba and was wondering what is probably my best
    option. I'm looking at the Satellite Pro 6100 w/dvd-rw or a Tecra 9100
    w/ CD-RW/DVD combo drive. Anyone have any insight into these computers?

    Thanks
    theanswriz42

  2. Re: Best toshiba laptop for linux?

    theanswriz42 wrote:

    > Ok, I know best is somewhat of a relative term however I'm looking at a
    > couple laptops from toshiba and was wondering what is probably my best
    > option. I'm looking at the Satellite Pro 6100 w/dvd-rw or a Tecra 9100
    > w/ CD-RW/DVD combo drive. Anyone have any insight into these computers?
    >
    > Thanks
    > theanswriz42

    I'm writing this on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 wo/dvd-rw (just a
    cd-rw/dvd-rom) Everything on this laptop works. I had to find the hfsmodem
    software for the modem but I never use it anyway. I'm currently running
    Gentoo on it, but the first install was Debian. There are a couple of
    things to look out for... there appears to be a keyboard bug where the keys
    will repeat sometimes ex, whhille II typppe, this can be fixed in the
    xconfig or by a kernel patch I can send you. Also to get the full 1400x1050
    resolution you will need to make sure that the

    Option "IgnoreEDID" "True"

    Is in your XF86Config-4 file, if you need it I can send you my XF86Config-4.
    The sound is acually a intel i810, regerdless if the box says Yamaha sound
    chip. Wireless is supported with the orinoco kernel drivers, again I can
    send my kernel .config if needed.

    ACPI is kinda broken, on Toshiba laptops, I would suggest using the kernel
    APM stuff, there is a patch to fix the Toshiba ACPI don't remember where
    though since APM works fine for me.

    If you need anymore info or config help for it just let me know.

    Jayson

+ Reply to Thread