Lucent Softmodem - Portable

This is a discussion on Lucent Softmodem - Portable ; Recently I purchased a T23 Thinkpad and immediately installed SuSE 8.2 on it and have been rather happy with it running Linux, but till now I have not had a need for the modem so had not set it up, ...

  1. Lucent Softmodem

    Recently I purchased a T23 Thinkpad and immediately installed SuSE 8.2 on
    it and have been rather happy with it running Linux, but till now I have
    not had a need for the modem so had not set it up, but now I have some
    things I need to use it for so I was wondering if there is any Linux
    support for this type of modem yet?
    I have done a bit of googling but have not found anything that is useful
    yet so here is what I come up with on the laptop info.
    Also windows 2000 (what came with the laptop) showed a Lucent driver used.

    dcole@laptop:~> /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82830 830 Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #2) (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #3) (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BAM/CAM PCI Bridge (rev 42)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801CAM IDE U100 (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM SMBus (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. SuperSavage IX/C SDR (rev 05)
    02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420
    02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420
    02:02.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 42)
    dcole@laptop:~>

    And when I was in Win2k I got this info using a terminal proggie and the
    ATI commands

    Lucent Softmodem
    Ver.3.1.96
    AMR Intel MB-82801ca/cam
    AC97 ID:SIL
    Rev.0x27,19

    Any ideas as to how I could make the obviously "not a real modem" work
    under Linux ?

    tia for any input

    Douglas Cole

  2. Re: Lucent Softmodem

    >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:27:16 -0700,
    >> "Douglas Cole" said:

    > Recently I purchased a T23 Thinkpad and immediately
    > installed SuSE 8.2 on it and have been rather happy with
    > it running Linux, but till now I have not had a need for

    Take a look at these sites, see if someone has already
    worked it out:

    http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    http://www.tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

    > Lucent Softmodem Ver.3.1.96 AMR Intel MB-82801ca/cam
    > AC97 ID:SIL Rev.0x27,19

    Nice big list:

    http://personal.myvine.com/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

    (the idir.net link appears to be broken at present.)

    hth

  3. Re: Lucent Softmodem

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:42:42 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

    >Douglas Cole wrote:
    >> Recently I purchased a T23 Thinkpad and immediately installed SuSE 8.2 on
    >> it and have been rather happy with it running Linux, but till now I have
    >> not had a need for the modem so had not set it up, but now I have some
    >> things I need to use it for so I was wondering if there is any Linux
    >> support for this type of modem yet?

    >Check at www.linmodems.org.
    >
    >> 00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 02)

    >> And when I was in Win2k I got this info using a terminal proggie and the
    >> ATI commands

    >> Lucent Softmodem
    >> Ver.3.1.96
    >> AMR Intel MB-82801ca/cam

    >AMR? doubt any support exists.

    Take a look at Bill Giannikos' page - see his AMR modem notes. I haven't
    had time to verify this myself, (and I don't know about your T23) but another
    R40 user says it works. You _may_ be able to get your modem working w/a modified
    Smartlink driver.

    http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/lrtecras1.html

    When I get a minute, I will test this myself on an R40 and report back.

    Bill
    ---------------------------------------
    William D Waddington
    Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
    csbwaddington@att.net
    waddington@tahomatech.com
    william.waddington@beezmo.com
    ---------------------------------------

  4. Re: Lucent Softmodem

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:55:11 -0500, Tony Curtis wrote:

    >>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:27:16 -0700,
    >>> "Douglas Cole" said:

    >> Recently I purchased a T23 Thinkpad and immediately
    >> installed SuSE 8.2 on it and have been rather happy with
    >> it running Linux, but till now I have not had a need for

    > Take a look at these sites, see if someone has already
    > worked it out:
    >
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    > http://www.tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >
    >> Lucent Softmodem Ver.3.1.96 AMR Intel MB-82801ca/cam
    >> AC97 ID:SIL Rev.0x27,19

    > Nice big list:
    >
    > http://personal.myvine.com/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
    >
    > (the idir.net link appears to be broken at present.)
    >
    > hth

    Thanks Tony, I have been to all the above sites and had no luck with this
    particular modem, apparantely IBM has put a number of different modems in
    the T23 series so mine in particular being a softmodem as opposed to a
    winmodem will not work with the Lucent drivers that I have tried (SuSE
    supplies)...

    Thanks anyway for trying

    Doug

  5. Re: Lucent Softmodem

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:18:26 +0000, Alex Yung wrote:

    > Douglas Cole (n7bfs@qwest.net) wrote:
    > : Recently I purchased a T23 Thinkpad and immediately installed SuSE 8.2 on
    > : it and have been rather happy with it running Linux, but till now I have
    > : not had a need for the modem so had not set it up, but now I have some
    > : things I need to use it for so I was wondering if there is any Linux
    > : support for this type of modem yet?
    > : I have done a bit of googling but have not found anything that is useful
    > : yet so here is what I come up with on the laptop info.
    > : Also windows 2000 (what came with the laptop) showed a Lucent driver used.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > : Any ideas as to how I could make the obviously "not a real modem" work
    > : under Linux ?
    >
    > : tia for any input
    >
    > : Douglas Cole
    >
    > Go to http://www.heby.de/ltmodem and pick up the binary for your
    > distribution. I have the same laptop and the binary works.

    Thanks Alex but if you read the second sentence on the above link you will see
    that it will not work with the modem in my particular T23 as mine is an
    Lucent AMR modem per the lspci listing that I provided ...

    Thanks for trying

    Doug

  6. Re: Lucent Softmodem

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:30:34 GMT, William D. Waddington
    wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> 00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 02)

    >>> And when I was in Win2k I got this info using a terminal proggie and the
    >>> ATI commands

    >>> Lucent Softmodem
    >>> Ver.3.1.96
    >>> AMR Intel MB-82801ca/cam

    >>AMR? doubt any support exists.

    >Take a look at Bill Giannikos' page - see his AMR modem notes. I haven't
    >had time to verify this myself, (and I don't know about your T23) but another
    >R40 user says it works. You _may_ be able to get your modem working w/a modified
    >Smartlink driver.
    >
    >http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/lrtecras1.html
    >
    >When I get a minute, I will test this myself on an R40 and report back.

    Well, I'm back. IT WORKS! I'm hooking up @ 52K to my Worldnet dial-up
    account. Using KPPP. Works like a champ on my R40 Centrino. There are
    some log warnings about the driver not being compatible with the codec,
    but they seem to be noise.

    An AMR modem running under Linux. Who would have thought ...

    I will add this to my page, along w/some kppp info, and re-post as a new thread.
    May take a day or two. For the 1st person info, see Bill G's page, above.

    http://www.beezmo.com/ThinkPadR40.htm

    MANY thanks to Bill Giannikos.

    Bill
    ---------------------------------------
    William D Waddington
    Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
    csbwaddington@att.net
    waddington@tahomatech.com
    william.waddington@beezmo.com
    ---------------------------------------

  7. Re: Lucent Softmodem still no workie :(

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:30:34 +0000, William D. Waddington wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:42:42 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
    >
    >>Douglas Cole wrote:
    >>> Recently I purchased a T23 Thinkpad and immediately installed SuSE 8.2 on
    >>> it and have been rather happy with it running Linux, but till now I have
    >>> not had a need for the modem so had not set it up, but now I have some
    >>> things I need to use it for so I was wondering if there is any Linux
    >>> support for this type of modem yet?

    >>Check at www.linmodems.org.
    >>
    >>> 00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 02)

    >>> And when I was in Win2k I got this info using a terminal proggie and the
    >>> ATI commands

    >>> Lucent Softmodem
    >>> Ver.3.1.96
    >>> AMR Intel MB-82801ca/cam

    >>AMR? doubt any support exists.

    > Take a look at Bill Giannikos' page - see his AMR modem notes. I haven't
    > had time to verify this myself, (and I don't know about your T23) but another
    > R40 user says it works. You _may_ be able to get your modem working w/a modified
    > Smartlink driver.
    >
    > http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/lrtecras1.html
    >
    > When I get a minute, I will test this myself on an R40 and report back.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks Bill for the input, I gave it a try with my T23 and it didn't work.
    When it tried loading the modules it came back with the following in
    /var/log/boot.msgs...

    insmod: Module slmdm loaded, with warnings

    insmod: Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/misc/slamrmo.o will taint the k
    ernel: non-GPL license - Smart Link Ltd.

    insmod: Warning: ignoring country=USA, no such parameter in this module

    insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/misc/slamrmo.o: init_module: No such device

    insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, includ
    ing invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

    insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/misc/slamrmo.o: insmod char-major-212
    failed

    And I did modify the make file and the source file as per the readme file
    and the website.

    Not sure what I should do next but open to suggestions :^}

    Doug

  8. Re: Lucent Softmodem still no workie :(

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:41:38 -0700, "Douglas Cole" wrote:

    >> Take a look at Bill Giannikos' page - see his AMR modem notes. I haven't
    >> had time to verify this myself, (and I don't know about your T23) but another
    >> R40 user says it works. You _may_ be able to get your modem working w/a modified
    >> Smartlink driver.
    >>
    >> http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/lrtecras1.html
    >>
    >> When I get a minute, I will test this myself on an R40 and report back.
    >>
    >> Bill

    >Thanks Bill for the input, I gave it a try with my T23 and it didn't work.
    >When it tried loading the modules it came back with the following in
    >/var/log/boot.msgs...

    Doug, sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase. It does work for me, but I have
    a somewhat different chipset. From win2k/hyperterm/atix:

    Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.31
    Built on 06/27/2003 08:53:43
    2.1.31, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27, 19
    AMR Intel MB
    AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
    United States

    From lspci -v:

    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Modem (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])

    I am a little troubled by some of your warnings/errors though. I am quite
    unskilled at this stuff, but it looks to me like some of this is broken
    before it even gets to probing the chipset.

    >insmod: Module slmdm loaded, with warnings
    >insmod: Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/misc/slamrmo.o will taint the k
    >ernel: non-GPL license - Smart Link Ltd.
    >insmod: Warning: ignoring country=USA, no such parameter in this module

    If the compile was successful, and the module is compatible w/the kernel, the above
    warning shouldn't happen. "country" is used by the module. What kernel are you
    using? I see the 2.4.20-4GB. Are you running an unusual kernel? I suppose the
    warning could be ismod noise caused by the no such device error ...

    >insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/misc/slamrmo.o: init_module: No such device
    >insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, includ
    >ing invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    > You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    >insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/misc/slamrmo.o: insmod char-major-212
    >failed
    >
    >And I did modify the make file and the source file as per the readme file
    >and the website.

    I assume you did make the modules.conf edit as described in the README(?):

    alias char-major-212 slmodem
    alias slmodem slamrmo
    options slmdm country=USA

    No offense, but any typos? If I manually do modprobe slmdm country=USA, it loads,
    and dmesg produces:

    slmdm: version 2.7.10 Feb 4 2003 15:18:20 (Smart Linki Ltd.).
    slmdm: country set is 0xb5(USA).

    Beyond that, do you know your chipset PCI IDs? My modems VID and DID are
    8086:24C6. I still haven't figured out how to get this info in Linux. I
    used the DOS prtpci to get this info. lspci on my ststem only reports the
    IBM subsystem IDs, which aren't much help. If your chipset uses a different
    device ID, using _that_ in amrmo_init.c might help (and is necessary, even if
    it doesn't make it work).

    Peter may well be right, and the modified Smartlink driver won't work with your
    T23, but it would be good to fix the other broken stuff and see...

    >Not sure what I should do next but open to suggestions :^}
    >
    >Doug

    Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm just barfing out ideas here. It would be
    nice to get a clean module load though (just live w/the "tainted" thing) and
    then see if it can attach the device.

    Bill

    William D Waddington
    Bainbridge Island, WA, USA