Netgear MA401RA setup for SuSE 8.2 - Portable

This is a discussion on Netgear MA401RA setup for SuSE 8.2 - Portable ; I have tried everything I can think of, and I still cannot get this to work. I have scoured this and other newsgroups looking for help and insight. I have followed the troubleshooting section of the SuSE support database article ...

  1. Netgear MA401RA setup for SuSE 8.2

    I have tried everything I can think of, and I still cannot get this to work.
    I have scoured this and other newsgroups looking for help and insight. I
    have followed the troubleshooting section of the SuSE support database
    article about PCMCIA wireless cards. Nothing gets this working.
    Can someone who does have it working post step-by-step instructions for
    this?
    Just for the record the output of iwconfig is:
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    sit0 no wireless extensions.

    eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"Prism I"
    Mode:Managed Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00 Bit Rate:11Mb/s
    Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/3
    Retry min limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0/92 Signal level:-68 dBm Noise level:-122 dBm

    I have tried setting the ESSID in YAST, but it doesn't seen to stick.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Zane
    --
    The box said "Install Windows98 or better", so I installed SuSE Linux.

  2. Re: Netgear MA401RA setup for SuSE 8.2

    Zane Vandiver wrote:

    > I have tried everything I can think of, and I still cannot get this to
    > work.
    > I have scoured this and other newsgroups looking for help and insight. I
    > have followed the troubleshooting section of the SuSE support database
    > article about PCMCIA wireless cards. Nothing gets this working.
    > Can someone who does have it working post step-by-step instructions for
    > this?
    > Just for the record the output of iwconfig is:
    > lo no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > sit0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"Prism I"
    > Mode:Managed Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00 Bit Rate:11Mb/s
    > Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/3
    > Retry min limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption keyff
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality:0/92 Signal level:-68 dBm Noise level:-122 dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > I have tried setting the ESSID in YAST, but it doesn't seen to stick.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Zane

    A follow-up on my progress:
    I finally got this card to work with help from mnain at the linux-laptop
    forum at LinuxQuestions.org and Ralph Sanford at the suse-linux-e mailing
    list.
    In YAST I configured the card as wireless, but not pcmcia. This allowed me
    to set the kernel module as orinoco_cs. YAST named the card as eth1. I
    modified the /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth1 file as follows:
    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    DHCLIENT_SET_DOWN_LINK='yes'
    MTU=''
    REMOTE_IPADDR=''
    STARTMODE='hotplug'
    UNIQUE=''
    WIRELESS='yes'
    WIRELESS_ESSID='mynet'
    WIRELESS_KEY=''
    WIRELESS_MODE='managed'
    WIRELESS_NICK='Prism I'
    WIRELESS_NWID=''
    CHANNEL='1'
    The hotplug option prevents the system from initializing the network
    connection before the pcmcia service is started.
    After booting, I issue the followin commands as root:
    ifconfig eth1 up
    dhcpcd eth1
    At that point everything is up and running.
    Zane
    --
    The box said "Install Windows98 or better", so I installed SuSE Linux.

+ Reply to Thread