Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard? - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard? - Portable ; Willem wrote: > On my IBM T20 laptop I am running a Redhat 9.0. For my Wlan connection I > use a 3Com 3CRWE737A AirConnect Wireless LAN PC Card (pcmcia). > Unfortunately RH9.0 does not recognise the card as such. ...

  1. Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard?

    Willem wrote:
    > On my IBM T20 laptop I am running a Redhat 9.0. For my Wlan connection I
    > use a 3Com 3CRWE737A AirConnect Wireless LAN PC Card (pcmcia).
    > Unfortunately RH9.0 does not recognise the card as such. It loads an
    > other card (d-link) and that not even as Wireless. It works nevertheless
    > though cranky.

    That's impossible (that a non wireless driver is working with your
    wireless card). Though I have no idea what "cranky" might mean.

    > My question is how to load the right configuration for this card
    > (manually if necessary) or if there is in the database of the
    > RH-distribution an other set of drivers that work for this card too?

    It sounds like the card *is* working? And is just getting called the
    wrong name? That generally means that there are two cards from the
    same factory, with different names printed on the box.

    -- Dave

  2. Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard?

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:

    > Willem wrote:
    > > On my IBM T20 laptop I am running a Redhat 9.0. For my Wlan connection I
    > > use a 3Com 3CRWE737A AirConnect Wireless LAN PC Card (pcmcia).
    > > Unfortunately RH9.0 does not recognise the card as such. It loads an
    > > other card (d-link) and that not even as Wireless. It works nevertheless
    > > though cranky.

    > That's impossible (that a non wireless driver is working with your
    > wireless card). Though I have no idea what "cranky" might mean.
    >
    > > My question is how to load the right configuration for this card
    > > (manually if necessary) or if there is in the database of the
    > > RH-distribution an other set of drivers that work for this card too?

    > It sounds like the card *is* working? And is just getting called the
    > wrong name? That generally means that there are two cards from the
    > same factory, with different names printed on the box.
    >
    > -- Dave

    The same card in my RH9 laptop does something similar: it tries to
    load a non-wireless driver, but does not network after that, the
    card just flashes in seek-mode.
    I am pretty sure it does not even try to run /etc/pcmcia/wireless.
    After booting i run a script to modprobe orinoco, do the
    iwconfigs and start dhclient.
    Wfg -job

  3. Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard?

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:
    > Job Eisses wrote:
    >

    >>The same card in my RH9 laptop does something similar: it tries to
    >>load a non-wireless driver, but does not network after that, the
    >>card just flashes in seek-mode.

    > Can you show the output of 'cardctl ident', and system log messages
    > from cardmgr?
    >
    > -- Dave

    I have to work with my laptop and no more time left so I solved the
    problem simply by buying an other (cheap) Wlan-card that works fine.
    Still I am intrigued so I kept a copie of the relevant part of the
    relevant var/log/message. Perhaps it can contribute to find a solution.

    Jul 11 13:12:22 localhost kernel: Yenta IRQ list 06b8, PCI irq11
    Jul 11 13:12:22 localhost kernel: Socket status: 30000010
    Jul 11 13:12:22 localhost kernel: Yenta IRQ list 06b8, PCI irq11
    Jul 11 13:12:22 localhost kernel: Socket status: 30000006
    jul 11 13:12:22 localhost pcmcia: cardmgr.
    Jul 11 13:12:22 localhost cardmgr[2019]: starting, version is 3.1.31
    jul 11 13:12:22 localhost rc: Starting pcmcia: succeeded
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: watching 2 sockets
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: Card Services release does not
    match
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff:
    excluding 0x3b8-0x3df 0x4d0-0x4d7
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost kernel: cs: memory probe
    0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: socket 0: 3Com 3CRWE737A
    AirConnect Wireless LAN PC Card
    jul 11 13:12:23 localhost netfs: Andere bestandssystemen aankoppelen:
    succeeded
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: executing: 'modprobe hermes'
    jul 11 13:12:20 localhost sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
    jul 11 13:12:20 localhost sysctl: kernel.sysrq = 0
    jul 11 13:12:20 localhost sysctl: kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
    jul 11 13:12:20 localhost network: Instellen van de netwerkparameters:
    succeeded
    jul 11 13:12:20 localhost network: Opstarten van de loopback interface:
    succeeded
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco'
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost apmd[2045]: Version 3.0.2 (APM BIOS 1.2, Linux
    driver 1.16)
    jul 11 13:12:23 localhost apmd: apmd start op succeeded
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'
    jul 11 13:12:23 localhost yum: succeeded
    jul 11 13:12:23 localhost yum: Enabling yum:
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: executing: './network start eth0'
    jul 11 13:12:23 localhost yum:
    Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost /etc/hotplug/net.agent: invoke ifup eth0
    jul 11 13:12:24 localhost rc: Starting yum: succeeded
    Jul 11 13:12:24 localhost kernel: eth0: firmware ALLOC bug detected (old
    Symbol firmware?). Trying to work around... ok.
    Jul 11 13:12:24 localhost kernel: eth0: New link status: Connected (0001)

  4. Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard?

    Willem wrote:

    > I have to work with my laptop and no more time left so I solved the
    > problem simply by buying an other (cheap) Wlan-card that works fine.

    ???

    I still don't see what did not work; you said the card worked but was
    "cranky" and I do not know what that means.

    > Still I am intrigued so I kept a copie of the relevant part of the
    > relevant var/log/message. Perhaps it can contribute to find a solution.

    > Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: socket 0: 3Com 3CRWE737A
    > AirConnect Wireless LAN PC Card

    Ok, it appears that the card was identified correctly.

    > Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: executing: 'modprobe hermes'
    > Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco'
    > Jul 11 13:12:23 localhost cardmgr[2019]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'

    And, cardmgr loaded all three parts of the orinoco_cs driver
    successfully.

    Looks fine to me.

    -- Dave

  5. Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard?

    Willem wrote:

    > Cranky means slow and because Redhat loads the normal ethernetcard GUI
    > no grafical way for specifying WEP, specified SSID, choice for ad hoc
    > and all the other goodies that come with Wlan.

    The first part... if your new card also uses the orinoco_cs driver
    then the hardware is probably the same; the new card may have newer
    firmware. The second part... I don't know, that sounds like a Red Hat
    bug. The correct wireless driver got loaded, but the Red Hat config
    tool didn't realize it was a wireless card.

    -- Dave

  6. Re: drivers 3com wlan-pcmciacard?

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:

    > Willem wrote:
    > >
    > > Cranky means slow and because Redhat loads the normal ethernetcard GUI
    > > no grafical way for specifying WEP, specified SSID, choice for ad hoc
    > > and all the other goodies that come with Wlan.

    > The first part... if your new card also uses the orinoco_cs driver
    > then the hardware is probably the same; the new card may have newer
    > firmware. The second part... I don't know, that sounds like a Red Hat
    > bug. The correct wireless driver got loaded, but the Red Hat config
    > tool didn't realize it was a wireless card.
    >
    > -- Dave

    I am running the same card in two different laptops, both will run
    fine, but not before manual intervention. One boots up and connects,
    and has a very slow connection; this is fixed by running "cardctl
    eject;cardctl insert". Some iwconfig commands are rejected the first
    time, and accepted the second time.

    -job

+ Reply to Thread