IBM ThinkPad 600E; RedHat Linux 8 (Psyche); Sound & Hotswap - Portable

This is a discussion on IBM ThinkPad 600E; RedHat Linux 8 (Psyche); Sound & Hotswap - Portable ; Having trouble getting the sound to work with this ThinkPad. I understand I may need a 'cs4232' Crystal Soundware driver. I can't seem to find one on the IBM site - do I need an updated version, or can someone ...

  1. IBM ThinkPad 600E; RedHat Linux 8 (Psyche); Sound & Hotswap

    Having trouble getting the sound to work with this ThinkPad. I
    understand I may need a 'cs4232' Crystal Soundware driver. I can't
    seem to find one on the IBM site - do I need an updated version, or
    can someone point me to a third-party download?

    Secondly, do I need to turn any options/flags on or off before using
    the ultraslimbay drive for hotswapping? (CD-ROM -> CD-RW -> DVD-ROM ->
    Zip -> Floppy - > Battery -> Hard Drive)

    Thanks, in advance!
    - Operator

  2. Re: IBM ThinkPad 600E; RedHat Linux 8 (Psyche); Sound & Hotswap

    On 17 Jul 2003 09:11:19 -0700, Zero staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Having trouble getting the sound to work with this ThinkPad. I
    > understand I may need a 'cs4232' Crystal Soundware driver. I can't
    > seem to find one on the IBM site

    'Cause it's already on your system in /lib/modules/$KERNELVERSION/
    drivers/sound/cs4232.o . When you're using Linux, the manufacturer's
    website is usually the *last* place you want to look for kernel modules.

    The cs4232 cards are a pain in the arse because they're on the ISA bus.
    Therefore, they can't be automagically detected the way PCI cards can.
    These are the commands you need to execute:

    modprobe soundcore dmabuf=1
    modprobe cs4232 irq=5 io=0x534 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
    modprobe opl3 io=0x388

    NOTE: 0x534 is what I've used on a Thinkpad 380D and a Dell Optiplex of
    unknown vintage that had cs4232 cards. If it doesn't work, try 0x530
    instead. If you run into problems, Google "Linux Thinkpad 600E"

    > Secondly, do I need to turn any options/flags on or off before using
    > the ultraslimbay drive for hotswapping? (CD-ROM -> CD-RW -> DVD-ROM ->
    > Zip -> Floppy - > Battery -> Hard Drive)

    What options? Where? I don't know precisely what you're talking about
    here--I don't use Redhat. However, if you grab a recent version of the
    "hdparm" utility, it contains a script that interfaces with the "tpctl"
    utility that makes hot-swapping of Ultrabay devices possible. Use that.

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

+ Reply to Thread