anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop - Portable ; Hey, Is there anyone around with this godforsaken EXCEL Laptop, and who knows how to install LINUX REDHAT 8??? Please do help..... Regs Mukund...

  1. anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop

    Hey,
    Is there anyone around with this godforsaken EXCEL Laptop, and who knows how
    to install LINUX REDHAT 8???
    Please do help.....

    Regs

    Mukund

  2. Re: anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:29:24 +1000, Mukund Venkatachar staggered into
    the Black Sun and said:
    > Is there anyone around with this godforsaken EXCEL Laptop

    Does this godforsaken laptop have a model number? What is it? Have you
    tried Googling for "Linux Excel $MODEL_NUMBER"? Have you read
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ?

    > and who knows how to install LINUX REDHAT 8???

    Do as the above URL suggests and provide reasonably detailed information
    about what you tried, how it failed, and the exact text of any error
    messages you received. Nobody can help you until you provide the make
    and model# of the machine and a good description of the problems you ran
    into when you tried to install Redhat 8.

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop

    Hey thanx for the suggestion

    Neways, I have an EXCEL 730 C1700
    Features:Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz processor
    15.1" LCD screen
    ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 AGP Video card with 64MB and all the works.
    Well, i should have been more specific the first time around it
    self.............here is the detail
    I tried installing Redhat 8 on my system, it installs fine, but when i reach
    the stage where i have to enter the screen resolution etc, the problem
    starts
    Linux even recognised the Video card, but i guess the problem lies with the
    monitor, i enter the monitor type(Generic Laptop Display Panel 1024X768,8
    bit) and the whole display crashes, i mean it becomes completely
    blank..........i tried with different configurations also....but was
    futile......
    I dont know the vertical and horizontal refresh rates, thats another
    thing....is there any way you can find out (other than the manual, which i
    dont have)???

    I've tried every possible site to get the answer, my only resort is this
    newsgroup....hoping to get some answers with this....
    please do help

    Regs

    Mac

    "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    news:slrnbhd8gk.5n6.danceswithcrows@samantha.crow2 02.dyndns.org...
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:29:24 +1000, Mukund Venkatachar staggered into
    > the Black Sun and said:
    > > Is there anyone around with this godforsaken EXCEL Laptop

    > Does this godforsaken laptop have a model number? What is it? Have you
    > tried Googling for "Linux Excel $MODEL_NUMBER"? Have you read
    > http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ?
    >
    > > and who knows how to install LINUX REDHAT 8???

    > Do as the above URL suggests and provide reasonably detailed information
    > about what you tried, how it failed, and the exact text of any error
    > messages you received. Nobody can help you until you provide the make
    > and model# of the machine and a good description of the problems you ran
    > into when you tried to install Redhat 8.
    >
    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to

    see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    > http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    > -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  4. Re: anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:07:02 +1000, Mukund Venkatachar staggered into
    the Black Sun and said:

    Please don't top-post. Message rearranged to comply with Usenet
    conventions.

    > "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    > news:slrnbhd8gk.5n6.danceswithcrows@samantha.crow2 02.dyndns.org...
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:29:24 +1000, Mukund Venkatachar staggered into
    >> the Black Sun and said:
    >>> Is there anyone around with this godforsaken EXCEL Laptop

    >> Does this godforsaken laptop have a model number? What is it? Have
    >> you tried Googling for "Linux Excel $MODEL_NUMBER"? Have you read
    >> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ?

    > EXCEL 730 C1700 Features:Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz processor
    > 15.1" LCD screen ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 AGP Video card with 64MB and
    > all the works.

    OK, that helps a lot.

    >>> and who knows how to install LINUX REDHAT 8???

    >> provide reasonably detailed information about what you tried, how it
    >> failed, and the exact text of any error messages you received.

    > I tried installing Redhat 8 on my system, it installs fine, but when i
    > reach the stage where i have to enter the screen resolution etc, the
    > problem starts
    > Linux even recognised the Video card, but i guess the problem lies
    > with the monitor, i enter the monitor type(Generic Laptop Display
    > Panel 1024X768,8 bit) and the whole display crashes, i mean it
    > becomes completely blank...i tried with different configurations
    > also...but was futile......

    Now we're getting somewhere. Why did you choose "8 bit"? You do *not*
    want to use X in 256-color mode; 16 or 24 bit is the best choice unless
    you have some ancient, badly designed software that doesn't work with
    16- or 24-bit color. It's possible that the Radeon X server won't work
    correctly with 8-bit color, so try using 16-bit color first.

    > I dont know the vertical and horizontal refresh rates, thats another
    > thing....is there any way you can find out (other than the manual,

    It's an LCD panel. LCD panels don't *have* Hsync and Vsync rates the
    way CRTs do. Typically, they behave as if they had Vsync in the range
    of 50-70 Hz, and an Hsync in the range of (roughly) 40-85 KHz. It may
    be a good idea to deliberately increase the range available. I have my
    laptop (Thinkpad A22p)'s LCD set to Hsync 20-150, Vsync 10-400. This is
    necessary to get modes other than the default 1600x1200 to work
    properly. YMMV on this.

    > I've tried every possible site to get the answer,

    I doubt this. Not even Google can index "every possible site"!

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  5. Re: anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop

    "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    news:slrnbhe6t6.7qi.danceswithcrows@samantha.crow2 02.dyndns.org...
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:07:02 +1000, Mukund Venkatachar staggered into
    > the Black Sun and said:
    >
    > Please don't top-post. Message rearranged to comply with Usenet
    > conventions.

    It may be a little too much to say "I've tried every possible site", but i
    meant i have visited many sites in this concern....
    you have to excuse me.....i'm quite new to these newsgroups and i dont know
    what is meant by "Please don't top-post. Message rearranged to comply with
    Usenet conventions." care to explain??

    > > "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    > > news:slrnbhd8gk.5n6.danceswithcrows@samantha.crow2 02.dyndns.org...
    > >>
    > >> Does this godforsaken laptop have a model number? What is it? Have
    > >> you tried Googling for "Linux Excel $MODEL_NUMBER"? Have you read
    > >> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ?

    > > EXCEL 730 C1700 Features:Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz processor
    > > 15.1" LCD screen ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 AGP Video card with 64MB and
    > > all the works.

    > OK, that helps a lot.

    > >> provide reasonably detailed information about what you tried, how it
    > >> failed, and the exact text of any error messages you received.

    > > I tried installing Redhat 8 on my system, it installs fine, but when i
    > > reach the stage where i have to enter the screen resolution etc, the
    > > problem starts
    > > Linux even recognised the Video card, but i guess the problem lies
    > > with the monitor, i enter the monitor type(Generic Laptop Display
    > > Panel 1024X768,8 bit) and the whole display crashes, i mean it
    > > becomes completely blank...i tried with different configurations
    > > also...but was futile......

    > Now we're getting somewhere. Why did you choose "8 bit"? You do *not*
    > want to use X in 256-color mode; 16 or 24 bit is the best choice unless
    > you have some ancient, badly designed software that doesn't work with
    > 16- or 24-bit color. It's possible that the Radeon X server won't work
    > correctly with 8-bit color, so try using 16-bit color first.
    >
    > > I dont know the vertical and horizontal refresh rates, thats another
    > > thing....is there any way you can find out (other than the manual,

    > It's an LCD panel. LCD panels don't *have* Hsync and Vsync rates the
    > way CRTs do. Typically, they behave as if they had Vsync in the range
    > of 50-70 Hz, and an Hsync in the range of (roughly) 40-85 KHz. It may
    > be a good idea to deliberately increase the range available. I have my
    > laptop (Thinkpad A22p)'s LCD set to Hsync 20-150, Vsync 10-400. This is
    > necessary to get modes other than the default 1600x1200 to work
    > properly. YMMV on this.

    OK,
    I went through the site which tells you how to ask questions etc......thanx
    for the advice
    coming to the actual problem on hand....well.....i chose 8 bit to be on the
    safer side, just to make it run, my comp supports more than that......
    I will try with the refresh rates you have suggested with 16 bit, lets see
    how far my luck goes....

    > > I've tried every possible site to get the answer,

    > I doubt this. Not even Google can index "every possible site"!

    OK,
    It may be a little too much to say "I've tried every possible site", but i
    meant i have visited many sites in this concern....

    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to

    see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    > http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    > -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  6. Re: anyone around with an EXCEL Laptop

    "King Nothing" wrote in message
> [...]

    > OK,
    > I went through the site which tells you how to ask questions

    etc......thanx
    > for the advice
    > coming to the actual problem on hand....well.....i chose 8 bit to be on

    the
    > safer side, just to make it run, my comp supports more than that......
    > I will try with the refresh rates you have suggested with 16 bit, lets see
    > how far my luck goes....
    >
    > > > I've tried every possible site to get the answer,

    > > I doubt this. Not even Google can index "every possible site"!
    > >

    > OK,
    > It may be a little too much to say "I've tried every possible site", but i
    > meant i have visited many sites in this concern....
    >
    > > --
    > > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to

    heres something else i did.......well, i tried with tthe refresh rates and
    the resolution you told.......no luck so far...
    I went into command and initialised kudzu, later tried manual configuration
    through "Xconfigurator".......with unprobed monitor ............even here,
    Radeon was recognised........it went into X and asked "Can you see this
    message?", it was fine..............wrote the changed info into
    "/etc/X11/XF86Config"............and then.........same
    thing...........display went blank............
    I hope i'm providing some useful info here.......

    Regs

    King Nothing

+ Reply to Thread