Thinkpad recovery partition - Portable

This is a discussion on Thinkpad recovery partition - Portable ; Hello, After some partitioning experiments in order to install linux on a Thinkpad A31 laptop, the F11 option to boot the recovery partion no longer works. According to an article from IBM (url is at the bottom) the reason is ...

  1. Thinkpad recovery partition

    Hello,
    After some partitioning experiments in order to install linux on a
    Thinkpad A31 laptop, the F11 option to boot the recovery partion no
    longer works. According to an article from IBM (url is at the bottom)
    the reason is that I replaced IBM's boot loader from the MBR. A
    solution is provided using grub to boot the recovery partiotion. I
    tried it, the recovery partition boots indeed (a windows millenuium
    start screen is displayed !?!) but the recovery program does not start
    and the message "Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g.
    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)" is displayed. I tried many paths/drive
    letters but none worked although command.com exists in the recovery
    partiotion (I mounted it under linux and saw it's contents).
    Does anyone know anything about this situation? I 'd very much
    appreciate any suggestions.

    Kostas Hatzikokolakis

    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site...2%7CMZG#DOCTOP

  2. Re: Thinkpad recovery partition

    In article ,
    Kostas Hatzikokolakis wrote:
    >Hello,
    >After some partitioning experiments in order to install linux on a
    >Thinkpad A31 laptop, the F11 option to boot the recovery partion no
    >longer works. According to an article from IBM (url is at the bottom)
    >the reason is that I replaced IBM's boot loader from the MBR. A

    . . .
    >Does anyone know anything about this situation? I 'd very much
    >appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    >Kostas Hatzikokolakis

    I recovered by restoring the copy of the original MBR saved when I
    initially installed Linux. The exact command and parameters are in the
    LILO mini HowTo. You basically "dd" the bootloader back into the MBR
    sector but leave the partition table untouched.

    FWIW: Once I got the recovery partition working again (the F11 key shows up on
    the second reboot, apparently the "correct MBR" is detected by the BIOS
    on the first reboot, then enabled on the second), the first order of
    business was to create a recovery floppy (the other option when you boot
    the recovery partition). I don't know if the recovery floppy preserves
    the partition table, but when the time comes to sell, I can put the
    notebook back together again.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

+ Reply to Thread