Network problems on VAIO PCG-F150 - Portable

This is a discussion on Network problems on VAIO PCG-F150 - Portable ; Hi, I have finally installed Debian Woody (2.4.something kernel) on a Vaio PCG-F150. This was after some sweat to install through the net. I tried using Debian Woody, Debian Sarge and RH 9.0 net installation images, and while all booted ...

  1. Network problems on VAIO PCG-F150

    Hi,
    I have finally installed Debian Woody (2.4.something kernel) on a
    Vaio PCG-F150. This was after some sweat to install through the net. I
    tried using Debian Woody, Debian Sarge and RH 9.0 net installation
    images, and while all booted and were mostly happy with the way things
    were, all of them had problems with the network card.

    The network card was configured automatically in both RH 9.0 and
    Debian Woody netinst (it is a PCMCIA 3Com based on the 3c59x module; I
    can't remember the exact model number). The card is configured for
    DHCP, and works fine (on another laptop) using Windows 2k. The DHCP
    client broadcasts on to 255.255.255.255 (on Debian; on RH, it uses
    pump, the request gets out, but nothing answers). In the end, the card
    can be configured manually (ifconfig -a and route add default gw xxxx
    eth0 way ), and can ping hosts on the internet and resolve names
    (i.e., ping www.google.com works).

    Now, when the installation needs to download a file (usually fairly
    large, Packages.gz or a 10-20 Mb file for RH), the computer freezes.
    The text installer doesn't respond to the keyboard (I can't change
    virtual terminals with Alt+Fn), and a reset it needed. This happens
    irrespective of mirror used and of protocol (ftp and http have been
    tested).

    I am able to telnet to other hosts without problems, suggesting that
    the problem might lie in relatively dense traffic associated to
    downloading a large file over a fast link (we're o a fast university
    connection).

    I have found some references to passing the following parameters to
    the kernel:
    acpi=off
    noapic.
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to try that yet.

    I don't know where to look, as I am new to laptops (and linux on
    laptops!), so any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks
    José

  2. Re: Network problems on VAIO PCG-F150

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:26:18 +0000, Jose L Gómez Dans wrote:

    > I have found some references to passing the following parameters to
    > the kernel:
    > acpi=off
    > noapic.

    I finally got round to try this out. It is an improvement; the system no
    longer crashes on high network load *ALL* the time, but rather quite
    often. I managed to download a list of packages from the debian mirrror.

    I now get an error from usb-uhc.c:
    usb-uhc.c: interrupt, status 30, frame # 1365
    usb-uhc.c: Host controller halted, trying to restart (repeasted 3 or 4
    times)

    While the laptop has USB; it is not being used (at least, not that I know
    off!). Can anyone suggest anything?

    Thanks
    José

+ Reply to Thread