Re: Which laptops have you had success installing Linux on? - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: Which laptops have you had success installing Linux on? - Portable ; On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:23:49 GMT, Leonard Evens staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I may be in the market for a laptop. col.portable included in Newsgroups: line, followup-to set to that group since this is a ...

  1. Re: Which laptops have you had success installing Linux on?

    Sun and said:
    > I may be in the market for a laptop.

    col.portable included in Newsgroups: line, followup-to set to that
    group since this is a laptop question.

    > Unfortunately I will have to keep Windows on it, but I also want to
    > install RedHat 9. I don't want to have a lot of trouble resizing
    > Windows

    Apparently, the "ntfsresize" program is working well enough for general
    use now, if you get something with 'DozeXP on it. FAT32 was never a
    problem. I have always just run cfdisk and then reinstalled 'Doze on
    laptops anyway, just to avoid potential resizing problems and to get rid
    of OEM-supplied crap/malware. There's no way to convert NTFS to FAT32,
    so this step is a good idea anyway so your Linux installation can have
    reliable write access to the 'Doze partition.

    > or getting X to work. Also, I want it to cost as little as possible,

    Think "refurbished". You can get a decent machine for $1000 if you go
    refurbished. http://ebaystores.com/ibm/ has a lot of decent Thinkpads
    available for less than you'd think. Or try the "not exactly new"
    section of pricewatch.com . All 3 laptops I've owned have been
    refurbished, and I've had exactly 1 hardware problem with them.

    > although I will spring for more memory, a floppy, and a CD-RW drive.
    > Wieght is probably not a major concern.

    So far, I've had no problems at all getting a number of IBM Thinkpads to
    work reliably with several distros. (380D, 600X, A22p.) Thinkpads are
    nice because they have Trackpoints and good keyboards, and most of them
    have supported graphics+sound chipsets. Avoid Sony like the plague.
    Dell might work well depending on model#. Do not get anything with a
    "Radeon IGP" graphics chip; support for that is only in XFree86 CVS
    right now AFAIK.

    General rule for picking out a Linux laptop is to narrow the selection
    down to 4 or 5 models with the specs you want, then Google or hit
    http://www.linux-laptop.net/ and check them all out. Pick the one that
    people have reported the fewest problems with. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  2. Re: Which laptops have you had success installing Linux on?

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > So far, I've had no problems at all getting a number of IBM Thinkpads to
    > work reliably with several distros. (380D, 600X, A22p.) Thinkpads are
    > nice because they have Trackpoints and good keyboards, and most of them
    > have supported graphics+sound chipsets.

    I agree. I currently run Red Hat 7.3 on my ThinkPad R31 and a few years
    ago, Mandrake on a 760E.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.