USB mouse stopped working after kernel recompile - Portable

This is a discussion on USB mouse stopped working after kernel recompile - Portable ; Hi Everyone I just got a new a laptop (P4-1.8/512/40G) and installed RH9 on it. The stock kernel (2.4.20-6) did not have acpi enabled. So I downloaded and built the 2.4.21 kernel and booted from it. Everything works except the ...

  1. USB mouse stopped working after kernel recompile

    Hi Everyone

    I just got a new a laptop (P4-1.8/512/40G) and installed RH9 on it.
    The stock kernel (2.4.20-6) did not have acpi enabled. So I
    downloaded and built the 2.4.21 kernel and booted from it.
    Everything works except the USB mouse. The touchpad still works.
    The USB mouse does have power but it does not respond.
    Both work in the old kernel.

    I don't understand the problem.

    Wouldn't running with ACPI disabled damage the
    hardware by overheating and not proper fan control?

    Thanks for your help/suggestions/advice in advance.

    Nitin Madnani

  2. Re: USB mouse stopped working after kernel recompile

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:17:14 GMT, Alessio Comisso staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:

    Include context when following up, please.

    /etc/X11/XF86Config , and found his USB mouse no longer worked in X. ]

    First thing to do is post the output of "lsmod". It's highly likely you
    forgot to compile all the necessary modules, especially if you're not
    experienced with building kernels. You need to have usbcore, usb-uhci
    or usb-ohci, and hid support compiled as modules. All these are under
    USB Support when you do "cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig".

    > #modprobe uhci

    No! "uhci" is the *WRONG* module if you have an UHCI chipset in your
    machine. It may work properly with devices that don't put a lot of data
    on the bus, like mice and joysticks, but it does not work at all with
    USB Mass Storage devices. Save yourself some headaches and do "modprobe
    usb-uhci" instead.

    > #modprobe usbmouse

    Wrong. USB Human Interface devices like mice and joysticks are
    supported by the "hid" module. "modprobe hid" instead. usbmouse is for
    the (limited) HIDBP protocol, intended for use in odd circumstances like
    before a real OS has loaded. hid is for the full-featured HID protocol.

    > and restart x

    Yes.

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the