Acer Aspire 1315LC & Linux - Portable

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 1315LC & Linux - Portable ; Hi, I'm considering buying an Acer Aspire 1315LC. Has anyone been able to install Linux on such a model? And if so, did all work fine? Thank you very much. Luca....

  1. Acer Aspire 1315LC & Linux

    Hi,
    I'm considering buying an Acer Aspire 1315LC. Has anyone been able to
    install Linux on such a model? And if so, did all work fine?
    Thank you very much.
    Luca.

  2. Re: Acer Aspire 1315LC & Linux

    albert vilella wrote:
    > I'm also willing to buy an Aspire or a TravelMate, but so far, I
    > haven't had the chance to test them directly, specially to compare
    > heat and noise issues.

    I have an Aspire 1302XV, with an AMD Athlon 1600 (500-1400MHz).
    At the moment I use linux 2.4.20 with ACPI enabled and cpufreq
    patch applied.

    Noise is practically not an issue: with disk in stand-by mode (hdparm)
    it is completely silent most of the time, unless you put load on cpu
    - then you'll hear the fan, probably not louder than in any other
    laptop.
    Peripherial hardware works with linux just fine (you can find
    a lot of info on a few homepages, see also
    http://www.nervous.it/hw/linux_aspire1300xv.html).

    For me an issue is cpu heat. Before I applied cpufreq, the place
    where the processor is was quite hot. I observed a slow down
    after some time, which AFAIK is typical of over-heated AMDs. I played
    and old DOS game in dosemu; when run just after start-up, the game
    ran fine; when played after a few hours of laptop _just_being_turned_
    _on_, the game was "crawling". Nowerdays that I run my laptop at
    500MHz (cpufreq), that game plays normal at all times - so I concluded
    it must have been heat problem. I should have done some quantative
    research.

    In recent days my laptop started to act strangely. Once, it just
    turned itself off without any warning while I was only editing
    a file (it had been switched on probably for more that 10h,
    though), and the other day it switched off twice in a row, under
    cpu load, the first time after sth like 2h after turning it on,
    running at 500MHz. I have no idea what to connect this behaviour
    with, especially that the second time no-one touched it (I worked
    through the network).

    I had (still have) a problem with DVD/CD drive, which looks (the problem,
    that is) very similar (maybe it is the same) as the one described in
    http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/%7Ee972569...spire1300.html
    I only want to add that *same* disk was read many times without
    a single complaint by an old Toshiba. Actually I re-recorded that
    disk on another one (same make), but with no improvement, so one
    might say this is "repeatable".

    One final note: if it is important for you, check if your-to-be laptop
    has a serial port; mine does not have, which was a little disappointment
    for me. (OTOH it's an incentive to try USB-serial adaptor.)

    That's all for my negative experiences with this Aspire laptop. Next
    time I buy one I'll probably choose a different make (Toshiba, IBM).

    regards
    --
    S.Tobias

+ Reply to Thread