what can be done with a notebook battery via I2C - Portable

This is a discussion on what can be done with a notebook battery via I2C - Portable ; Dear everyone, I have updated my page about assisting notebook "smart battery" refurbishments via I2C from Linux at http://sweb.cz/Frantisek.Rysanek/battery.html The software is largely relying on the i2c and lm_sensors packages from http://www.lm_sensors.nu . Apart from the old section about the ...

  1. what can be done with a notebook battery via I2C

    Dear everyone,

    I have updated my page about assisting notebook "smart battery"
    refurbishments via I2C from Linux at
    http://sweb.cz/Frantisek.Rysanek/battery.html

    The software is largely relying on the i2c and lm_sensors packages from
    http://www.lm_sensors.nu.

    Apart from the old section about the BQ2092, I have added another section
    about the BQ2040.

    To reset a BQ2040, you need to tap its external Flash EEPROM
    - some of the software included can be used for talking to 24C01 & family
    (I2C Flash EEPROMs) in general, not just in-circuit in Smart Batteries.

    I have composed a bootable battery refurbishment CD, useable on
    virtually any IBM PC cabable of CDrom boot and having a viable parallel port.
    Imagine that - no kernel compilation fuss just to get I2C access
    to your battery, all the tools sitting there together.
    Unfortunately, because of the limitations imposed by my freeweb provider,
    I cannot put the ~7Meg CD on my web (a targzipped 18meg .iso.)
    If someone has <10Megs of free web space to share, I'd be very happy to
    finally put the CD on the web.

    The old way obviously works - you have to download the building
    blocks and compile everything from source on your own Linux system.
    The recipe and some code are on my web.

    Frank Rysanek

  2. Re: what can be done with a notebook battery via I2C

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:15:06 +0000, Frantisek Rysanek wrote:
    > I have updated my page about assisting notebook "smart battery"
    > refurbishments via I2C from Linux at
    > http://sweb.cz/Frantisek.Rysanek/battery.html

    Hi Frank,

    your tool looks great. You asked for webspace for the ISO image,
    please consider my page http://tuxmobil.org - Linux On Mobile Devices

    Werner

    --
    |=| Werner Heuser = Keplerstr. 11A = D-10589 Berlin = Germany
    |=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
    |*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

  3. Re: what can be done with a notebook battery via I2C

    > thanks to everyone who offered help.
    > Several people offered to store my CD - now I guess it's a work
    > in progress.

    The CD is now online, you can choose from a few download sites.
    http://sweb.cz/Frantisek.Rysanek/battery.html

    Frank Rysanek

+ Reply to Thread