An ultraportable with Linux? - Portable

This is a discussion on An ultraportable with Linux? - Portable ; I am looking for an ultaportable notebook (up to 1.5 kg/3.2 lb) that works well with linux (that means no fiddling or googling necessary with XFree86, apm, external monitors or anything else - they should just work). It can be ...

  1. An ultraportable with Linux?

    I am looking for an ultaportable notebook (up to 1.5 kg/3.2 lb) that
    works well with linux (that means no fiddling or googling necessary
    with XFree86, apm, external monitors or anything else - they should
    just work). It can be brand name, it can be expensive, but it must be
    light and it must work properly. I have looked at Toshiba Portege R100
    and the lightest Compaq Evo, and based on some oter people's
    experience they seem close to unusable with linux. I plan too use
    Redhat 9 (and later, when it becomes available).

    Any recommendations? Please?

    J.

  2. Re: An ultraportable with Linux?

    Jerullah wrote:
    > I am looking for an ultaportable notebook (up to 1.5 kg/3.2 lb) that
    > works well with linux (that means no fiddling or googling necessary
    > with XFree86, apm, external monitors or anything else - they should
    > just work). It can be brand name, it can be expensive, but it must be

    my ibm x24 works fine.

    > light and it must work properly. I have looked at Toshiba Portege R100

    Toshibas invariably are chock full of stuff that takes ages to write
    drivers for (bluetooth, irda, ..). But they mostly work.

    > and the lightest Compaq Evo, and based on some oter people's
    > experience they seem close to unusable with linux. I plan too use
    > Redhat 9 (and later, when it becomes available).

    Funny.

    Peter

  3. Re: An ultraportable with Linux?

    "Peter T. Breuer" wrote in message n>
    > my ibm x24 works fine.

    Thanks; looks good (little heavier than my dream notebook, and I would
    have to get used to that nipple). Do you have any experience with
    external monitors under Linux? It is the Radeon that worries me - a
    friend has a Dell Latitude with ATI Radeon mobility and we could not
    possibly make it work only with external monitor under X - the picture
    on the external monitor is fine, but the lcd stays on even if we ran
    it under 1600*1200 at 85Hz, producing scary rainbow patterns. We tried
    to configure it with all kinds of radeon-specific options related to
    external screens, but nothing worked. Nobody has been able to help him
    for more than a year now.

    > Toshibas invariably are chock full of stuff that takes ages to write
    > drivers for (bluetooth, irda, ..). But they mostly work.

    Well, Portege R100 has a thoroughly unsupported Trident graphics chip
    that nobody could make work as anything but VESA 8bit. No thanks
    It's such a pity, it is 1.1 kg

    J.

  4. Re: An ultraportable with Linux?

    Jerullah wrote:
    > "Peter T. Breuer" wrote in message n>
    >> my ibm x24 works fine.
    >>

    > Thanks; looks good (little heavier than my dream notebook, and I would
    > have to get used to that nipple). Do you have any experience with
    > external monitors under Linux? It is the Radeon that worries me - a

    I don't bother using them. I always prefer a laptop screen. There's an
    S-video out on the docking station, but not on the laptop itself. That
    said, I have an external lcd screen connected to the docking station,
    purely for vistors to gawk at.

    Radeon? Is it a radeon? Could be. Anyway, it works fine under XF86
    4.2.1-3 (debian potato, mostly, apart from stuff like that).

    > friend has a Dell Latitude with ATI Radeon mobility and we could not
    > possibly make it work only with external monitor under X - the picture
    > on the external monitor is fine, but the lcd stays on even if we ran
    > it under 1600*1200 at 85Hz, producing scary rainbow patterns. We tried

    You can switch any one on or off via the fn keys. All the fn keys work.
    Including hibernate to disk. And sound. That's one of the great things
    ... I never got my last toshiba portege to hibernate to disk, though I
    could get it into suspend to ram mode, with apm -s.

    > to configure it with all kinds of radeon-specific options related to
    > external screens, but nothing worked. Nobody has been able to help him
    > for more than a year now.

    I don't know why. It's purely a bios thing if you can't switch off the
    lcd screen, and purely a driver issue if you can't run at two different
    resolutions. I don't.

    >> Toshibas invariably are chock full of stuff that takes ages to write
    >> drivers for (bluetooth, irda, ..). But they mostly work.

    > Well, Portege R100 has a thoroughly unsupported Trident graphics chip

    My portege 4000 has a Trident Cyberblade MP that works fine.

    > that nobody could make work as anything but VESA 8bit. No thanks
    > It's such a pity, it is 1.1 kg

    Peter

  5. Re: An ultraportable with Linux?

    http://www.gearzoo.com/product_info.php?products_id=32

    --
    Larry Herzog Jr. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain
    ZRXOA #1029 conceit, but in humility consider others

+ Reply to Thread