NetGear MA401 PCMCIA Problem: ksoftirqd_CPU0 taking 95% CPU - Portable

This is a discussion on NetGear MA401 PCMCIA Problem: ksoftirqd_CPU0 taking 95% CPU - Portable ; Hi, I am struggling with this somewhat soft error. I have Toshiba 1410-S173 Laptop. I am having NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card and NetGear MR814 Wireless Router. I bearly got them working with RedHat 8.0 (Linux kernel 2.4.20 with ACPI ...

  1. NetGear MA401 PCMCIA Problem: ksoftirqd_CPU0 taking 95% CPU

    Hi,
    I am struggling with this somewhat soft error. I have Toshiba
    1410-S173 Laptop. I am having NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card and
    NetGear MR814 Wireless Router. I bearly got them working with RedHat
    8.0 (Linux kernel 2.4.20 with ACPI patch). The module for PCMCIA card
    is orinoco_cs

    However suddenly wireless connection is lost and I see ksoftirqd_CPU0
    process taking 90-95% processor.

    /var/log/messages shows entry
    eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

    If I restart the pcmcia daemon the things start working normally.

    Any ideas?

    Thank you,

    regards,
    Aditya Newalkar

  2. Re: NetGear MA401 PCMCIA Problem: ksoftirqd_CPU0 taking 95% CPU

    Aditya Newalkar wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am struggling with this somewhat soft error. I have Toshiba
    > 1410-S173 Laptop. I am having NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card and
    > NetGear MR814 Wireless Router. I bearly got them working with RedHat
    > 8.0 (Linux kernel 2.4.20 with ACPI patch). The module for PCMCIA card
    > is orinoco_cs

    > However suddenly wireless connection is lost and I see ksoftirqd_CPU0
    > process taking 90-95% processor.

    > /var/log/messages shows entry
    > eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

    I think that particular message is actually harmless. But, there are
    lots of versions of the orinoco driver, and chances are that a newer
    version would fix your problem.

    -- Dave

  3. Re: NetGear MA401 PCMCIA Problem: ksoftirqd_CPU0 taking 95% CPU

    Zane Vandiver scribbled:

    > horne wrote:
    >
    >> Aditya Newalkar scribbled:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I am struggling with this somewhat soft error. I have Toshiba
    >>> 1410-S173 Laptop. I am having NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card and
    >>> NetGear MR814 Wireless Router. I bearly got them working with RedHat
    >>> 8.0 (Linux kernel 2.4.20 with ACPI patch). The module for PCMCIA card
    >>> is orinoco_cs

    >> I am using the NetGear MA401 PCMCOA WiFI card, NetFear 802.11b WAP, and
    >> NetGear Gateway Router without any difficulties whilst running LindowsOS
    >> 3.0. I was also able to use the WiFi card with SuSE Linux 8.2 on the
    >> same
    >> notebook computer. Perhaps the issue in your situation is RedHat Linux
    >> 8.0. RedHat keeps introducing new issues with each release - reminds me
    >> ever so much of a certain corporation headquartered, for the moment, in
    >> Washington state.
    >>

    > Horne,
    >
    > Could you post the procedure for getting your Netgear MA401 working? I
    > just
    > purchased one, and I haven't figured out how to get it up and running. I
    > using a Netgear wireless router, and everything works in Winblows XP. I
    > am running SuSE 8.2 on a Compaq 2170.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Zane

    First I configured the WAP with the following parameters.

    WAP:
    SSID: WAPXX (XX = 00 thru FF, your choice of value for SSID though)
    Channel: 1
    Mode: Auto

    MA401
    SSID: WAPXX (matches the above SSID)
    IP: static in my environment
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Default GW: my NetGear Gateway Router IP address

    I configured the WiFi card using the Network Configuration utility for KDE
    rather than editing the configuration files manually. SuSE Control Panel
    should provide similar configuration utility via GUI.

    You should at least be able to ping your router at this point - the little
    green light on the WiFi card should be illuminated once the orinoco_cs
    module loads at boot up.

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter LRU 277671

  4. Re: NetGear MA401 PCMCIA Problem: ksoftirqd_CPU0 taking 95% CPU

    Hi,

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote:

    > I think that particular message is actually harmless.

    I can hardly agree. As long as X server is running the message is at
    the background. The message continues to appear on the terminal once X
    server exits and I am forced to reboot the machine

    > But, there are
    > lots of versions of the orinoco driver, and chances are that a newer
    > version would fix your problem.

    Appearently it didn't. I downloaded and installed pcmcia_cs3.2.4 and
    still the problem is nowhere near the end. I was told to download and
    install this package on orinoco_cs sourceforge page as the easier way to
    upgrade the driver.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanx for your time.

    Aditya Newalkar

    > -- Dave

  5. Re: NetGear MA401 PCMCIA Problem: ksoftirqd_CPU0 taking 95% CPU

    Aditya Newalkar wrote:

    >> But, there are
    >> lots of versions of the orinoco driver, and chances are that a newer
    >> version would fix your problem.
    >>

    > Appearently it didn't. I downloaded and installed pcmcia_cs3.2.4 and
    > still the problem is nowhere near the end. I was told to download and
    > install this package on orinoco_cs sourceforge page as the easier way to
    > upgrade the driver.

    Downloading and installing the pcmcia-cs package the usual way, on a
    current distribution, will not update your orinoco driver. Also the
    driver in 3.2.4 is not the newest one. When you ran "make config" for
    pcmcia-cs, it should have told you that by default, it would not
    update any drivers.

    The reason for this is that recent kernels include PCMCIA drivers, and
    they are not fully interchangeable with the pcmcia-cs components, so
    pcmcia-cs does not overwrite anything by default.

    If you get the latest beta for 3.2.5, and install the usual way, then
    cd to the wireless subdirectory and do an additional "make install",
    that would install an updated orinoco driver.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread