Re: Which laptop for Linux? - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: Which laptop for Linux? - Portable ; Good question, TechDeck. I had FITS trying to get any Linux distro to install from a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive (a KME 20X) on a Toshiba 610 CT, but finally got multiple versions of Caldera to work from the LISA install ...

  1. Re: Which laptop for Linux?

    Good question, TechDeck. I had FITS trying to get any Linux distro to
    install from a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive (a KME 20X) on a Toshiba 610 CT, but
    finally got multiple versions of Caldera to work from the LISA install
    diskettes. I also got Caldera running on a TI TravelMate 6050 laptop. The
    Toshiba now has SUSE 7.0 Personal on it, and that installed pretty easily
    (except I had a bad CD and the installation kept choking on LaTEX
    repeatedly). Both laptops work pretty well for Linux, except the Toshiba
    Satellite 610CT is only 640x480 screen resolution. You can make KDE work
    that way, but configuring the desktop requires some 'blind faith' tabbing to
    get to off-screen options at first. Both these laptops can be obtained on
    E-Bay pretty cheaply these days.

    Toshiba 610CT: Pentium 90, 640x480x32 bit display, 4.8 GB hard drive (LILO
    booting to Win98/SUSE Linux 7.0 Personal), Pointstick mouse device, 40 MB
    RAM, KDE desktop.

    Travelmate 6050: Pentium 150, 800x600x30 bit display, 6 GB hard drive (LILO
    booting to Win98/Caldera Linux 2.2), Pointstick mouse device, internal
    CD-ROM drive, 64 MB RAM, KDE desktop.

    Good luck, and keep us posted what you wind up getting/installing!

    Ciao,

    Richard

    TechDeck wrote in message <25327N379@web2news.com>...
    >Hi, I've been interested in Linux a lot lately, and I've been thinking
    >about buying a laptop (I don't have enough room for another desktop) and
    >installing linux on it. I'd like to install Redhat Linux on it, and I'd
    >like to know if there are any laptops that run well with Redhat. I know
    >the Redhat website has info on compatible computers, but many of them
    >have slight problems, and I'm wondering if all have problems or if
    >there's a "perfect" laptop. Also, which 802.11b wi-fi cards are
    >supported by Redhat? Thanks in advance!
    >--
    >Direct access to this group with http://web2news.com
    >http://web2news.com/?comp.os.linux.portable

  2. Re: Which laptop for Linux?

    Correction, that's a Toshiba PORTEGE 610CT, don't know why I put
    'Satellite'....

    As if anyone really cares....

    Ciao,

    Richard

    Richard Adams wrote in message ...
    >Good question, TechDeck. I had FITS trying to get any Linux distro to
    >install from a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive (a KME 20X) on a Toshiba 610 CT, but
    >finally got multiple versions of Caldera to work from the LISA install
    >diskettes. I also got Caldera running on a TI TravelMate 6050 laptop. The
    >Toshiba now has SUSE 7.0 Personal on it, and that installed pretty easily
    >(except I had a bad CD and the installation kept choking on LaTEX
    >repeatedly). Both laptops work pretty well for Linux, except the Toshiba
    >Satellite 610CT is only 640x480 screen resolution....(SNIP)

+ Reply to Thread