Noisy fan going on often - Portable

This is a discussion on Noisy fan going on often - Portable ; I have installed Slackware 9 on a PIII 1GHz laptop. It is working great and noticeably faster than previous SuSE 8.0 (2.4.18* kernel) install. The CPU fan is going on more often now with noise. Almost everytime I move a ...

  1. Noisy fan going on often

    I have installed Slackware 9 on a PIII 1GHz laptop. It is working great and
    noticeably faster than previous SuSE 8.0 (2.4.18* kernel) install.

    The CPU fan is going on more often now with noise. Almost everytime I move a
    window (or scroll up/down a web page) the fan goes on. I have installed
    right Nvidia drivers and editted FX86Configure file.

    Is this the price I am paying for a faster optimized OS? Is there any way
    to find out if the CPU is working harder needlessly?

    I picked bare.i (2.4.20) kernel from slackware CD when I was installing. The
    kernel is optimized for PIII and PIIII (i686) processors, I think? I know
    that slackware is source-code based install which seems to be faster and
    work better.

    I need some hints for starting to diagnose/resolve this fan/cpu/heat/noise
    problem please.

    Anyone care to comment?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Noisy fan going on often

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:44:02 +0000, JC wrote:

    > I have installed Slackware 9 on a PIII 1GHz laptop. It is working great
    > and noticeably faster than previous SuSE 8.0 (2.4.18* kernel) install.
    >
    > The CPU fan is going on more often now with noise. Almost everytime I move
    > a window (or scroll up/down a web page) the fan goes on. I have installed
    > right Nvidia drivers and editted FX86Configure file.
    >
    > Is this the price I am paying for a faster optimized OS? Is there any
    > way to find out if the CPU is working harder needlessly?
    >
    > I picked bare.i (2.4.20) kernel from slackware CD when I was installing.
    > The kernel is optimized for PIII and PIIII (i686) processors, I think? I
    > know that slackware is source-code based install which seems to be faster
    > and work better.
    >
    > I need some hints for starting to diagnose/resolve this
    > fan/cpu/heat/noise problem please.
    >
    > Anyone care to comment?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do a top to see which process is eating CPU cycles.

  3. Re: Noisy fan going on often

    B. Joshua Rosen wrote:

    > Do a top to see which process is eating CPU cycles.

    Yes, top is ok. It lists all running processes. What I need to see is
    kernel messages as system is running. How could I see Kernel messages?

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread