Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized - Portable

This is a discussion on Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized - Portable ; Hi, I have a Toshiba CD-Writer (PX1054E-1NST - it is really a Freecom) which I try to connect via a 32-bit Cardbus to my Sony Laptop running Suse Linux 8.2 (with kernel 2.4.20 pcmcia-3.2.3 73). It doesn't seem to be ...

  1. Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized

    Hi,

    I have a Toshiba CD-Writer (PX1054E-1NST - it is really a Freecom) which I
    try to connect via a 32-bit Cardbus to my Sony Laptop running Suse Linux 8.2
    (with kernel 2.4.20 pcmcia-3.2.3 73).
    It doesn't seem to be recognized when I plug it in.

    dmesg tells me:
    cs: cb_alloc(bus 6): vendor 0x1691, device 0x0001
    PCI: Enabling device 06:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)

    # cardctl config
    Socket 0:
    not configured
    Socket 1:
    Vcc 3.3V Vpp1 3.3V Vpp2 3.3V
    interface type is "cardbus"
    irq 10 [exclusive] [level]
    function 0:
    # cardctl status
    Socket 0:
    no card
    Socket 1:
    3.3V CardBus card
    function 0: [ready]
    # cardctl ident
    Socket 0:
    no product info available
    Socket 1:
    no product info available
    #

    The following modules are loaded:
    ds
    yenta_socket
    pcmcia_core
    ide-cd

    Can somebody please help me?
    Do I need to install another pcmcia-package?

    The device works under Windows 98.

    Thanks for any hints,
    Felix

  2. Re: Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized

    Felix Drueke wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I have a Toshiba CD-Writer (PX1054E-1NST - it is really a Freecom)
    > which I try to connect via a 32-bit Cardbus to my Sony Laptop
    > running Suse Linux 8.2 (with kernel 2.4.20 pcmcia-3.2.3 73).

    It is not a supported device type.

    -- Dave

  3. Re: Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...
    > Felix Drueke wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I have a Toshiba CD-Writer (PX1054E-1NST - it is really a Freecom)
    > > which I try to connect via a 32-bit Cardbus to my Sony Laptop
    > > running Suse Linux 8.2 (with kernel 2.4.20 pcmcia-3.2.3 73).

    > It is not a supported device type.

    ****

    What exactly is not supported? The 32bit Cardbus or the Writer?
    Does anybody know, when it will be supported?
    Are there allready any experimental kernels that have support for it?

    Felix

  4. Re: Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized

    Felix Drueke wrote:
    > dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...
    >> Felix Drueke wrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I have a Toshiba CD-Writer (PX1054E-1NST - it is really a Freecom)
    >> > which I try to connect via a 32-bit Cardbus to my Sony Laptop
    >> > running Suse Linux 8.2 (with kernel 2.4.20 pcmcia-3.2.3 73).

    >> It is not a supported device type.
    >>

    > ****

    > What exactly is not supported? The 32bit Cardbus or the Writer?

    Cardbus IDE interfaces are not supported.

    > Does anybody know, when it will be supported?

    When someone who has one cares enough to figure out how to do it.

    > Are there allready any experimental kernels that have support for it?

    No. I really do not know why it would not work with a current hotplug
    enabled kernel; it seems like it should, but I haven't heard any
    reports that it does.

    -- Dave

  5. Re: Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...
    > Felix Drueke wrote:
    > > dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...

    > >> It is not a supported device type.
    > >>

    > > ****

    > > What exactly is not supported? The 32bit Cardbus or the Writer?

    > Cardbus IDE interfaces are not supported.
    >
    > > Does anybody know, when it will be supported?

    > When someone who has one cares enough to figure out how to do it.
    >
    > > Are there allready any experimental kernels that have support for it?

    > No. I really do not know why it would not work with a current hotplug
    > enabled kernel; it seems like it should, but I haven't heard any
    > reports that it does.

    Could you please give me some hints where I should search, if
    I want to invest some time myself?
    Maybe in the ide-cs module?

    Felix

  6. Re: Toshiba Cardbus CD-Writer not recognized

    Felix Drueke wrote:

    > Could you please give me some hints where I should search, if
    > I want to invest some time myself?
    > Maybe in the ide-cs module?

    You could try to get the attention of people who work on the IDE
    driver and/or the PCI hotplug code. It is nothing to do with ide-cs.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread