Best distro for ACPI - Portable

This is a discussion on Best distro for ACPI - Portable ; I have a new Compaq 2170 with SuSE 8.2 installed/dual boot WinXP. I would like to use ACPI without patching the kernel. Is there a distro currently available that supports ACPI without needing to be patched? Zane -- The box ...

  1. Best distro for ACPI

    --
    The box said "Install Windows98 or better", so I installed SuSE Linux.

  2. Re: Best distro for ACPI

    >> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:10:41 GMT,
    >> Zane Vandiver said:

    > I have a new Compaq 2170 with SuSE 8.2 installed/dual
    > boot WinXP. I would like to use ACPI without patching
    > the kernel. Is there a distro currently available that
    > supports ACPI without needing to be patched?

    I think you're obviously begging the question: why /not/
    patch the kernel with the ACPI diffs?

    If you're determined not to do this, you could e.g. emerge
    the 2.5.74 development-sources in gentoo...

    hth

  3. Re: Best distro for ACPI

    Tony,

    I have used linux for 3 to 4 years now, but I do not feel comfortable
    messing with the kernel. I guess I will have to screw up my courage and
    try it.

    Zane

    Tony Curtis wrote:

    >>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:10:41 GMT,
    >>> Zane Vandiver said:

    >> I have a new Compaq 2170 with SuSE 8.2 installed/dual
    >> boot WinXP. I would like to use ACPI without patching
    >> the kernel. Is there a distro currently available that
    >> supports ACPI without needing to be patched?

    > I think you're obviously begging the question: why /not/
    > patch the kernel with the ACPI diffs?
    >
    > If you're determined not to do this, you could e.g. emerge
    > the 2.5.74 development-sources in gentoo...
    >
    > hth

    The box said "Install Windows98 or better", so I installed SuSE Linux.

  4. Re: Best distro for ACPI

    begin
    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:00:15 GMT, Zane Vandiver wrote:
    > Tony,
    >
    > I have used linux for 3 to 4 years now, but I do not feel comfortable
    > messing with the kernel. I guess I will have to screw up my courage and
    > try it.

    The linux kernel makefile is pretty carefull about leaving the ability to
    In lilo or grub you'll have a new selection for the kernel to boot and
    it won't be the default until you edit lilo.conf or grub.conf and make it
    the default. You'll always have the ability to boot your old kernel
    until you explicitely delete it.

  5. Re: Best distro for ACPI

    After looking around through some other mailing lists and how-tos, I think I
    found the answer. The acpid daemon was not set up to run automatically. I
    changed that in the runlevel editor and all seems to be running well.
    Thanks to all for your input.

    Zane

    --
    The box said "Install Windows98 or better", so I installed SuSE Linux.

+ Reply to Thread