On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:27:02 -0500, CopperNet staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
> I have installed Suse 7.2 on a ThinkPad 600 PII/300 192MB ram 6gig HD.
> The camera a Kodak DC5000 can be connected to the laptop using either
> USB or a PCMCIA memory card reader. Connecting the camera either way
> will generate a system beep, and a review of the system log indicates
> that either way of connecting is properly recognized and modules are
> loaded to deal with the new devices.

Yep. If you use the PCMCIA reader, you'll notice references to a device
called /dev/hde when you do a dmesg immediately after plugging the
reader in. PCMCIA SMartMedia or CF readers appear as hard disks to the
kernel. You want to do the following things:

(Do this as root. You must put the entry into /etc/fstab, but you can
name /mnt/camera whatever you want.)
mkdir /mnt/camera
(add this line to /etc/fstab
/dev/hde1 /mnt/camera vfat noauto,user,umask=000 0 0

....then test it out as a normal user by plugging the PCMCIA reader in
and doing "mount /mnt/camera". After that, you should be able to browse
to /mnt/camera using your file manager (konqueror, sawfish, midnight
commander...) and see a directory or 2 containing all the JPEGs that
were on your camera. You can copy them over to your hard disk just as
if they were files on a floppy or CD.

You can create a shortcut in KDE to make this a bit friendlier.
Right-click on the KDE desktop, Create New->Hard Disk , choose /dev/hde1
from the dropdown menu, then choose an icon for it. You can then mount,
umount, and browse this PCMCIA card reader with the icon on the KDE
desktop.

USB is similar, but the device name is going to be /dev/sda1 instead of
/dev/hde1. You *may* have to do "modprobe usb-storage" manually; if so,
put that command into /etc/init.d/boot.local , so it'll be executed on
every boot and you won't have to worry about it.

> no applications installed with Suse 7.2 that would automate this
> process.

Automate what process?

> Recommendations for applications that provide basic image editing and
> cataloging that are appropriate for my system are also welcomed.

Image editing? Gimp. It's on your distro CDs. Cataloging? Dunno, I
find creating a directory called ~/pictures and putting subdirectories
("Oklahoma trip", "Vegas trip", "Half-baked art", "Miscellaneous"...) in
that all contain JPEGs works fine for me. KDE will automagically
generate thumbnails and show them for directories that contain a lot of
JPEGs.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL